WineXpert Selection International Italian Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenS

Reaction score
Did some searching to see if anybody had made this one yet, but didn't find any threads. I just put it into primary today. Comes with 3 packages of hungarian oak powder and a bag of grape skins. Also 2 sizable bags of dextrose for chaptalization after the first 5 to 7 days.

Given the additional primary fermentation time with the chaptalization, would it make sense to also add some yeast nutrient to keep it healthy once the alcohol starts to increase?

Ken, I put that kit on along with a Barolo from the same series and I did not have any dextose for chaptalization in either kit. They must have changed the kit somewhere along the line.

Given the additional primary fermentation time with the chaptalization, would it make sense to also add some yeast nutrient to keep it healthy once the alcohol starts to increase?
Kits, especially those by the better manufacturers, do not normally need extra yeast nutrient, the manufacturers make sure that there is enough present.

Steve

Ken, I put that kit on along with a Barolo from the same series and I did not have any dextose for chaptalization in either kit. They must have changed the kit somewhere along the line.

Yeah, it seems like they might have changed the kit, since the printed instructions don't mention the chaptalization, but there is an insert along with it with it that adds those instructions. And, the online copy of the instructions has been updated for the new stuff. First time for me doing this type of kit...

Ken, sorry for some bad information. It was not the WE Selections International Amarone that I made. It was Mosti Mondiale Renaissance Impressions with raisins and skins. I went back to my records and checked. The initial SG was 1.110 for both the Amarone and Barolo, so chaptalization was not needed. Actually, a little more water may have been a better choice. I used both the raisins and the skins although the kit said to use one or the other. Waste not, want not! I had about a gallon and a half of each variety left over when I racked so I blended them into a wine I called "Barone." In early tasting, the Barone may turn out to be the best of the three!

I think some of the Kit Amarones have shown to be able to handle a little more ABV, so they have decided to chaptilize that guy.

If you utilize the kit supplied yeast, I wouldn't add any nutrient. Like Steve said, they kit makers have taken all that under consideration.

Latest posts

Back