Secrets for removing labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup NW,

I took one of my kids glue sticks required for school and it worked just fine. I've used about every brand going and all work.

I had paint scrapers on my shopping list...remembered I had one for the glass stove top...then
smiley38.gif
remembered a box out in the shop labeled... [assorted scrapers & blades]...Jackpot...6 scrapers and 3 packages of blades...

Soaked some bottles and used a new razor blade...WOW!!!The blade seems to get right under the glue...and going horizontally is the ticket...Why was I scraping up and down all these years...DUH!!!

it's these little hints that really help....Thanks!

It is also surprising how quickly the blades will dull so change them often. Back when I shopped there I bought some cheap blades from Wal-Mart and they were junk and even kept breaking on me with very little pressure applied...so buy some decent blades.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

How about the blades from Home Cheapo?Is there a brand better than others??

The blade on my stove top scraper was so dull I thought it was in upside down...changed it and got the stove sparkling too.

Not sure about those but I know the "Great Value" brand from Wal-Mart were terrible..not sharp and very thin. I think any name brand or hardware store line like "True Value" or "Ace Hardware" will be fine.

I've been keeping up with this label removing post and I thought I would tell my story. I just removed labels from about 30 bottles using some of the methods I found here. I put the bottles in water with ammonia and soaked them for about 2 days. A few of the labels came of in the water and a few of them I had to scratch off. I was able to rub the glue off most of the bottles with a green 3m pad. I had a few bottles that had very stubborn glue and so I used some plumbers pipe cleaner. It's the stuff you clean plastic pvc pipe with before you apply the glue. I was able to dissolve the glue enough to scrub it off. For the folks who don't know, be careful with this stuff, it can take your breath if you don't have enough ventilation. Cleaning bottles is one of those things I just had to learn to have patience with. It gives me a chance to think about all the things I've been wanting to think about, but didn't have the chance.
smiley1.gif

I just did some more bottles this afternoon....I'm doing them even tho I won't need them for quite some time...but it is almost fun using the razor blade....

Tried some of the same bottles that had been problem bottles in the past...Like Sparkling Wine bottles...the hot water makes the glue soft and the new blade just slips underneath the label...this is almost fun. It just slipped under those clear labels too.

Doing mundane jobs does give the mind some time to contemplate...I do that when I am weeding the garden...which hopefully will be soon....not likely upon looking out the window.

Think I'll do more bottles tomorrow, just to get them done before the spring work begins...
smiley4.gif

I have at least 400 bottles that need labels scraped off so stop by and I will provide the blades!
smiley36.gif

Me tooooooooooo! I am going to have to clean 120 bottles for the son's wedding wine. Anybody want to stop by and help give me a yell!

Don: whats that, like 10 cases? I'll donate5 cases of cleaned, delabeled bottles to the cause!

There! Your half done.

I have approx the same and I just did about 106 last week. That took 2
days cause I need to get a RubberMaid tub from Wally world. I used the
kitchen sink with about 10 bottles at a time.

I think you have about as easy a set-up as can be expecected. Use a razor blade type scraper to remove the moistened labels. I usually clean the outside of the bottle with a Scotchbrite pad and liquid dish detergent to remove anything the scraper missed.

For the labels that leave the gummy-sticky residue after scraping, spray WD40 onto the Scotchbrite pad. You'll be suprised how easy the residual stuff is removed using the WD40.

Back