Secondary fermenter Airpsace

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently finishing fermentation of Red Raspberry Wine and Black Raspberry wine.

Estimated ABV% of 13.3 and 12.6%

Due to the volumes being produces, I have a full carboy, a 1/4full carboy, as well as a 1/2 full carboy.

I'm worried that the airspace in either partially full carboy risks spoiling my wine. If so, would blending the two for a 3/4 full carboy negate the risk? Most of the fermentation has already taken place. The SG of the full carboy is currently 1.00.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that I can just leave as is without too much cause for concern.

Last edited:
You can buy 1 gal carboys all day for about $25.00 for 4. (that's what I paid, anyway) Others will chime in but that's just too much air space in a carboy for my comfort (I lost about 35 gals of wine due to air in the container) so I don't chance it any longer.

I will do my best to find suitable secondary vessels for conditioning.

What I want to know is whether oxidation is a risk during fermentation, as well as during conditioning?

After 7 days, I racked off of my fruit pulp into a carboy for days 7-14 of fermentation. Does this mean I risked oxidation between day 7-14 for the wine I fermented in patially full carboys?

If your wine is still fermenting you are fine but once it is done you better get the wine in a carboy that fits the size of your wine. What is your current sg?

I'm with Julie. Get it to smaller vessels soon.. 1 Gal jugs are cheap and you can find them everywhere. I usually get mine from yard sales, craigs list for less than a$1.00 each.. get a bunch..

What should I or what can I do with extra from primary that wont fit into my 1 gal secondary carboy? Can I put it in fridge to top off secondary after I siphon off sediment the second time?

De-gassing

Whats a good way to de-gas? I do not believe I had any problems in my first batch? Should I de-gas everytime or just certain times? I always make sure I leave no head space in carboy

Latest posts

Back