Secondary Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flame145

Reaction score
I don't know if this would be considered stuck fermentation, or just real slow. I started Pumpkin pie spice wine 2 different on 11/23/10. Transfered to my secondary on on 11/30/10. I checked SG today on both, the first one was SG 1.00 and the second one was 1.02. Just seems like it is in slow motion on the secondary fermentation. I can also see alot of gas bubbles coming up the side of the bottle. Is this normal. I have been waiting for both to get below 1.00 SG. I actually added a little yeast energizer to one of the them to see if that helps it. I guess I was just wondering if its normal for secondary to take 6 weeks ??? Just a little concerned

What was the starting sg, what kind oy yeast did you use and at what temp did you ferment at and what temp is it now? Did you use any nutrient and or energizer in primary?

What was the starting sg, what kind oy yeast did you use and at what temp did you ferment at and what temp is it now? Did you use any nutrient and or energizer in primary?

starting SG was 1.090, I used Montarachet yeast, I fermented at 68˚, temperature is still the same which is room temperature 68˚ degrees, yeast nutrient was added at the begining of the primary fermentation, and just yesterday I added yeast enegizer to try to give it a little kick.

I'm still stuck at SG 1.02. Its releasing gas pretty good but still not movement on SG. I can watch all the tiny bubbles coming up the side of carboy

If probably gave out early due to cool temps. You really need to raise the temp up near the end so that it doesnt struggle there as most yeasts will near the end. They are struggling to live at that times and warmer temps lets them live just a little longer. Is this a wine that you planned on sweetening? If not then warm it up and give it a stir and it may just move a little more, youll want to warm it up anyway to degas it.

If probably gave out early due to cool temps. You really need to raise the temp up near the end so that it doesnt struggle there as most yeasts will near the end. They are struggling to live at that times and warmer temps lets them live just a little longer. Is this a wine that you planned on sweetening? If not then warm it up and give it a stir and it may just move a little more, youll want to warm it up anyway to degas it.

Its wierd my 1rst carboy SG hit .996 about 1 month ago. The 2nd carboy is still stuck at 1.02 SG. Both were made at the same time, exact same ingriedents, same room, same size carboy, same everything.
Well anyway I wanted to back-sweeten to 1.02. So do I just rack my 2nd carboy, the one that is stuck at 1.02, de-gass and add sorbate.. ???? I'm in unfamilar territory here. Thanks

What is the temp right now? I would try to get that to finish off. Even though you wanted to sweeten to that SG - the ABV will not be high enough to help aid in the protection of the wine.

You might also consider making a yeast starter to finish this off.

What is the temp right now? I would try to get that to finish off. Even though you wanted to sweeten to that SG - the ABV will not be high enough to help aid in the protection of the wine.

You might also consider making a yeast starter to finish this off.

All my wine is in my garage which stays at a constant temperture of 62 degree. Don't have a brew belt which I have read about. Guess I could get one if I had too.
Should I use the same yeast and make another starter???

Last edited:
You could use either of these 2 (ICV K1V-1116, EC-1118).

Both are good for stuck fermentations. I would make the starter in the house where the temp will be warmer - get the starter good and going - then add it in to finish off.

So that way they yeast can "hit the ground running" if you will.

You can also take your carboy into the house and stick it into a sink of warm to hot water to bring the temp of the carboy up to get it working again

Please do not put a glass carboy that is cold to cool in a warm or hot water bath or it could shatter it from the temp change like a windshield cracking from a defroster on a very cold day very like wht happened to my windshield 3 days ago!!!!!! Argggggggg Second time in my life, thank the lord I have free glass with my insurance.

Please do not put a glass carboy that is cold to cool in a warm or hot water bath or it could shatter it from the temp change like a windshield cracking from a defroster on a very cold day very like wht happened to my windshield 3 days ago!!!!!! Argggggggg Second time in my life, thank the lord I have free glass with my insurance.

LOL, and you didn't learn the first time? And why aren't you at work, :tz

Last edited:
You could use either of these 2 (ICV K1V-1116, EC-1118).

Both are good for stuck fermentations. I would make the starter in the house where the temp will be warmer - get the starter good and going - then add it in to finish off.

So that way they yeast can "hit the ground running" if you will.

Ok, i'll give that a shot. Thanks for evryone's help. I'll keep the thread updated as I go. Thankns again.

Jury duty today and was released first thing. I dont blame them for that!!!!!

Yesterday I re pitched some more yeast to help finish off the stuck fermentation. I pitched EC1118 yeast. I saw today that a bunch of pulp from the pumpkin is floating up top in the neck of the carboy. Its like 2 inches thick of orange pulp. Is this normal ????

Latest posts

Back