Secondary Fermentation stock at 1.010 help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphyaii

wannabe pro winemaker
Reaction score
I've been fermenting a cantina peach chablis kit for nearly 2 weeks now

I transferred it from the primary bucket when the gravity reading was 1010 a week ago into a plastic carboy of 5 litres.

I left it there with the airlock bubbling away in the hot press cupboard for a week.

I then done a hydrometer reading and it was still at 1010 with no airbubbles a week later.

Temperature was kept between 18 - 20 'celcius.

I tried rousing the yeast at the base but that had no effect.

Any ideas on how to get the yeast restarted again guys?

This is my second batch of wine ever!!

:a1:rn

stuck fermentation

The original gravity was 1.075

however, the yeast used was just labeled

highly specialized yeast/nutrient mix.:m

Mite warm it up a little. Checked and 20 degrees C. converts to 68 degrees F. You want it in the mid 70's or maybe even a bit higher. Maybe stir in a little yeast energizer. I am thinking you mite have racked it off the yeast when you transferred it. One other thing you might try is check your hydrometer. Straight water should be around 1.000. Make sure it is close to that with your tap water. If your hydrometer is reading ok and warming it up some doesn't help, you mite have to repitch some yeast. Good luck with it, Arne.

How does it taste? If you like wine on the sweet side, it might just be perfect for you (unless there is an f-pack which will add more sweetness).

If you need to pitch more yeast, try EC-1118. It is a cheap, all purpose, go to yeast.

can you get yeast ec-1118 in a normal shop instead of the online home brew links?

i've ordered the ec-1118 now.thanks for that.

champagne yeast.correct?

once i get the yeast how do i add it to the fermenting wine?

After trying what Arne suggested, here is what I would do:

1) Santize anything your are going to use.
2) Rack the wine to get if off the lees.
3) warm 2 ounces of water to 104-109 F .
4) Dissolve the yeast in the water, and let sit for 15, but no more than 30, minutes. Do not stir during this time.
5) In the meantime, warm 2 cups to 1/2 gallon (whatever size container you have with 25% excess space) to 85 degrees.
6) After waiting the 15-30 minutes, add to the warmed wine.
7) stir, and let sit in a warm spot.
8) hopefully, after 8 hours, you see signs of fermentation.
9) pour slurry into your pail, and mix well.

tested the wine today with the hydometer whilst waiting on delivery of champagne yeast. and surprising results.
hydrometer after testing in water was off by .005
ran a few tests on it in different water and got it back to 0
ran a test on the wine and it has now dropped from 1010 to 1002.
i think rousing the lees on the bottom must have restarted any residue sugar conversion.
will leave it for a few more days and start finalising for xmas me thinks.

Happy Xmas all :):)

Latest posts

Back