secondary fermentation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsoares1831

Dennis
Reaction score
Hello all, I added 2 crushed campden tablets to my red and white wine just before secondary fermentation. Not sure what I was thinking. Did I stop my fermentation? Any suggestions on what I do? Should I rack the wine and let it age? Or should I add yeast nutrient to try and kick start fermentation again? I have 4 gallons of each. Thanks!

Last edited:
You will most likely slow any remaining fermentation as commercial yeasts are stronger than wild yeasts. In time that extra will disapate. You can rack it again if you need to now.

What was the gravity you racked at and what yeast?

I just re-checked it with a hydrometer, it is reading at 1.000. I have the 5 gallon containers filled to a 4 gallon mark. Is my fermentation over? Thanks for your help!

No, add a little superferment or a little additional nutrient. It will ferment down to .990

At this area I stir mine well and snap on a lid with an airlock and allow it to ferment dry. I don't rack to a carboy before ferm. is finished.

I myself ferment to about 1.000 then I add a small amount of superferment to my must, give it a good stir to release CO2 then I snap on a lid with an airlock. This way the superferment will give the yeast a boost to finish fermenting, the CO2 will protect the wine as will the lid and airlock will allow air to escape.

In 2-3 days I will recheck it and it will be at .990 I then will rack to clear. Racking too early can cause your yeast to stall due to a lack of oxygen and or be choking on CO2 in the must.

Adding an airlock and a tight lid isn't necessary but I like to limit the amount of oxygen getting to the must at this time.

Excellent, my wine was at .990 yesterday, so I racked it, thank you very much for your help. Do you still use an airlock while racking? I am using a glass carboy with oak wood chips for aging.

Back