Secondary Carboy sizing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Detail

Reaction score
I plan to start out with around 3+ gallons in my primary. When I transfer this amount over to the secondary carboy, does the gallon size of the carboy matter?

In other words, if I rack 3 gallons into a 5 gallon carboy is the head space at top going to be a problem during fermentation?

During secondary fermentation, probably not.
During this period there is gas given off which fills the extra space. Creates a gassy cushion or so I have been told. (although that is more air space than I would want, but that is me!)

Once fermentation is done you do not want that much air space.

You can always rack in 3 single gallon jugs during fermentation!

What will you store the 3 gallons in during bulk aging?

Please help me with "bulk aging". Is that at the very end?
If so, then 750ml bottles.

To me, "bulk aging" starts when you are done fermenting (add K-meta to stop activity and preserve the wine) and other playing around with the wine, and ends with bottling (750 ml bottles, or whatever size you choose).

During that time, you are letting the wine clear and the flavors to develop. This period is months to years. Clearing you need to do in bulk (don't want to clear in the bottle). I can appreciate why flavor development is enhanced by bulk, but some day I will need to figure out why it is any different than aging in the bottle.

Please help me with "bulk aging". Is that at the very end?
If so, then 750ml bottles.

Yes Aging occurs before bottling.
I think the end would be drinking, but that would be more a Philosophical discussion of the life cycle of a wine!
Anyhow!

Once fermatation has ceased (sg lower than 1.00), primary and secondary fermentation is done.

Rack wine into a vessel, leaving all the goop behind.
Add any K-meta, sorbate, clarifyers etc.

You know have 2 options:
Bottle
or age.

Bulk aging would be keeping all 3 gallons together in a carboy or in 3 individual glass jugs. This would allow you more time to clear, oak, backsweeten or do a long elaborate snoopy dance using your newly made wine as an audience!

If you do not have a 3 gallon carboy, or 3 single gallon jugs you may have no option but to bottle.

Bulk aging refers to aging wines in containers other than the final bottle such as carboys or barrels, after alcoholic fermentation and Malolactic fermentation (if it applies to the wine you are making) has completed. During bulk aging, the wine will start to clear naturally, dropping sediment and "releasing" CO2, naturally degassing, tannins and oak will mellow.
How long should you bulk age? That is totally up to you and your personal tastes. Most of my reds have been bottled after 15 months, of course my original plan was to age for 18 months prior to bottling, then waiting another 6 months of bottle aging before drinking, but after tasting the wine at 15 months, I was happy with the results.

Lets understand that when you start a fermentation and rack to a secondary vessel that does not start a secondary fermentation, it is all one fermentation. Having that much head space from 3 gallons to 5 gallons is too much.

Pumpkinman,

These are the directions for the recipe I plan to use for a "Blueberry-Pomengranate" wine:

Stir daily until specific gravity drops to 1.010, then transfer to a secondary and attach an airlock. Allow 30 days to pass before racking. Stabilize with 1/2 teaspoon potassium sorbate and a finely crushed and dissolved Campden tablet; rack again after additional 30 days. Sweeten wine to taste if desired, then wait a final 30 days and carefully rack into bottles. Wait 1 year to 18 months for best enjoyment.

Julie said it best....no matter what you call it, are what its in, it is all one fermentation.
The wine goes through a lot of chemical changes which is what the wine making process is all about...

Bulk aging , i think is up to the person making the wine, how long you want to age is up to you....when it taste like you want, and its clear you can go from there....
not advising, just saying

Stir daily until specific gravity drops to 1.010, then transfer to a secondary and attach an airlock. Allow 30 days to pass before racking. Stabilize with 1/2 teaspoon potassium sorbate and a finely crushed and dissolved Campden tablet; rack again after additional 30 days. Sweeten wine to taste if desired, then wait a final 30 days and carefully rack into bottles. Wait 1 year to 18 months for best enjoyment.

I'm a newbie, but it doesn't seem to me that, without using a clarifying agent, that you have enough time/rackings for the wine to clear.

Latest posts

Back