Second fermentation in bottle HELP!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moosher

Junior
Reaction score
I bottled my Traminette (from grapes) about a month ago. It was fermented for 2 months until dry pH 3.15.Racked two more times and the wine looked clear ( total 6 mo from start to bottle). I added sulfite 2 weeks before bottling. I opened a bottle 2 weeks after bottling and tasted a little fizz but went away after a bit of time and the wine tasted fine. I noticed one of my corks was getting pushed out a little so I decided to uncork the wine and return to carboy. I am glad I did. As i was uncorking, it was like openning bottles of sparkling wine. I pumped the wine from the bottles to the carboy and the amount of bubbles was insane. I am assuming the wine is in some sort of fermentation.The question is what should I do to save the wine (it still tastes fine), should I just let it sit, do a MLF test, add something to stop it. degass it. Thank you advance for any HELP!!

Sounds like you did not degass.

Drink it fast

What you can do is (splash) decant it when serving and let it sit a bit before drinking. this should take the "fizz" out.

Hello Tom,Thank you for the quick reply.I thought you didn't have to degass wine made from grapes just kits and is it to late to add potassium sorbate or should I filter

Well in 6 months I'm sure it finished fermenting. I'm guessing you did not add sugar or back sweeten after you stabilized it. If you did then before adding you should have added Sorbate. Now since its in the bottles now emptying them and adding sorbate will not help. But, if you want to empty the bottles and degass thats an option.
Test: open a bottle put thump over it shake, if it sprays like a champaign bottle then it needs degassing

I emptied the bottles into carboys.Yes if I put my thumb on bottle and shake it will spray out, some more than others.How much should I degass and how can I tell if it is enough so when I re bottle it does not happen again.Also how long should I wait after degass to re bottle. I did not add any sugar so could a MLF be going on?

Latest posts

Back