Scored some Peaches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winofarmer

Confused Rookie
Reaction score
Local peach festival this weekend so I went a day early and scored on some slightly over ripe peachs 50lbs. for 30 bucks .60 a pound !!!

Any one have any tips they would like to share on turning them into a good peach wine ???

I'd run them through a steam juicer if you have one. If not get the seed out and throw some pectic enzyme in there and some k-meta and then pitch the yeast 24 hours later.

Pit 'em. Quarter 'em. Freeze 'em.

Then thaw them. Hit 'em with sulphite and pectic enzyme. 24 hours later, pitch some cotes de Blanc.

and get ready for some lees, lots and lots and lots. both my peach and mango threw off 25 percent maybe more on the mango.
good score on the peaches..wish i could find some that cheap

Ouch... $.60/lb? Grade A Peaches around here go for that, or less. Luckily I got 4.5 bushels (225 lbs) last weekend for free though.

Tree ripened peaches sell for $20 per 10 pounds at farmer's markets and fruit stands all day long in my area. I would fall over if I found them at 60 cents per pound.

We are paying .60 a pound at a fruit stand here for large all red skinned peaches, the best for making wine.

These were large over ripe Red Havens,the not over ripes are a 1.50 Lb. so for this area it was a score!!!

.75 cent a pound you pick at all the local orchards here. Thats a good score!!

Our local grocery store had them on sale for $1.78 for a 2lb bag. I got 10 lbs of them.

10 lbs, will make a one gallon batch.

WOW! That's not nearly enough for me. I will have to learn how to know how much water to add to the amount of fruit that I have. I think I may have added too much water if it will only make a one gallon batch. I filled by 3 1/2 gallon bucket up. I wonder if it will taste diluted.

10 lbs in a 3 1/2 gallon bucket, it will be sweet water thats about it.
go get about 30 more, slice, remove pit, put in bag and crush like heck.
toss it in a 5 gallon bucket to ferment, and dont add any water.
after you rack it a couple of times you may have 2 1/2 gallons.

I got 3 gallons of juice from 50lbs. of peaches,I also got 2 gallons of Apricot juice and blended them to make a 5 gallon batch,just not sure what I am going to top up with at rackings.

Latest posts

Back