saving slurry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide mouth Mason jars, not an off brand jar but a real Mason jar! LOL, I know some think it will break but five years and not one has broken.

I freeze in Mason jars too. With liquids you have to leave enough head space for expansion. Try freezing with the lid loose or off to avoid blow out if you are worried head space.

If you are close to going over, set your primary in a tub that is larger than your primary. If no tub, a big garbage bag will work. If it goes over it will save a lot of cleanup. I do most of my fermenting over a concrete floor so it doesn't make much difference if it goes over. Did one in the living area of the house a long time ago. Tried to ferment in a gal. jug. Learned my lesson fast, now try to stay over the cement floor. Easy cleanup, keeps Kathy happy. LOL, Arne.

No spillover, thankfully, but I did ferment on ceramic tIle that can take a brillo pad if needed.

I am lucky I pulled that extra liquid out to ferment separately, as that would have been the tipping point for sure.

I pitched at 1.09 and am today at about 1.03, so I guess the ferment wasn't as rapid as I had feared - my bucket thermometer read at about 74, so phenols shouldn't be an issue.

I will definitely be trying this again though, next time I need something to start rapidly.

I would freeze it in a bag if you feel you need it.

I have used slurry to start SP, but I did it immediately. Every other time I've used a fresh packet of EC-1118. $0.79 at the local supplier.

Back