Sauternes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downwards

Reaction score
Can't afford it. But I've wanted to try it for years. The description of dried apricots with honey has my mouth watering! Please know that I'm aware that a homemade melomel with dried apricots is likely to be a weak substitute, but might be wonderful in its own right. Anybody made a dried apricot melomel before?

Honestly, with most melomels I do, I just take some traditional and add fruit to it while aging. I would say add about 1lb/gal in a mesh bag to an aging batch of traditional and wait and taste. It is a real easy way to diversify your meads, and you get to make lots at one time, them split them up. 5 gallons of dry traditional can become 1gal sweet apricomel (huh, sounds good right?), 1gal dry apricomel, 1gal methaglyn, 1gal dry traditional, and 1gal sweet traditional.
Meadmaking can be very diverse.

I would be inclined to buying a Sauterne concentrate from www.homewinery.com, but I made Jack Keller's dried apricot wine using raw wildflower honey instead of sugar. It was awesome at the one year mark, last bottle consumed over the winter.

Last edited:
Well, it depends if you want a Sauternes wine, or a Sauternes inspired wine. I made a bordeaux inspired melomel (black currants, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, dates, tart cherries, and black currant raisins; basically every descriptor ever used for a red bordeaux wine), and followed the winemaking techniques used in the region (high heat, many punches/day, long maceration, etc.).
I think a Sauternes inspired melomel would use blackberry honey for its profound "honey" flavor (or maybe brazillian pepper/christmasberry), dried apricots in secondary, peaches with pits in primary, and some white raisins in primary as well.
Man, now I need to make one!
P.S. maybe some dried pineapple too.

Last edited:
Maybe that almond flavor? I've had a traditional Korean beverage that was made with some kind of apricot like fruit- don't know if it was fermented or just steeped in liquor, but anyway the pits gave that a very distinct almond like character.

Lots of good ideas here guys. Yeah I'm looking more for an "inspired" sort of deal. Actually didn't know there was a Sauternes kit, ill have to look into that. Is it real botrytis infected grape juice?

Lots of good ideas here guys. Yeah I'm looking more for an "inspired" sort of deal. Actually didn't know there was a Sauternes kit, ill have to look into that. Is it real botrytis infected grape juice?

It is not a real sauternes. Sauternes is a french wine that is made from Semillon Sauv Blanc and Muscadelle grapes that has been affected with noble rot. California has created a generic form of the Sauternes, it is called Sauterne, it does not have the s at the end. That is what homewinery has.

The stones will add that nutty flavor found in some Sauternes, I think.
Some almerettos use peach and apricot stones instead of almonds for flavor.

This has officially made it to my list:
6 gallons
18lbs brazillian pepper honey
6lbs white peaches (stones included but not weighed)
1lbs white raisins
3lbs dried apricots (secondary)
SG ~ 1.120
FG ~ 1.020
D47 fermented cool 64F
SNA for 100ppm YAN

Maybe I'll get to it after my daughters mead, and a long awaited bochet, so maybe October(?).

After seeing that link from Saramc (and the price? OMG, so good), and reading Bob's recipe, I now see that I'll have to do both. ;)

I'll be playing with this stuff after our vacation (need cooler weather) but I'll talk about them here. I also have LOTS of peaches put up for a peach wine so I'm likely going to steal some from that batch.

Latest posts

Back