sanitizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha, no, they'd all have their little "Dose-meters" around their necks.
smiley2.gif

Bleach is a huge NO NO !!!

Rinsing appropriately after using bleach is very difficult. Put some on your hands and try to wash it off!!

Using Kmeta is the accepted means. Typical solution is about 50 grams or 2 ounce per gallon. If you want to make it more effective, add about 1 tablespoon citric acid to the gallon. This solution if kept closed will last much longer that you will use it. I pour it inside my clean carboys - swish it around - and recycle it. I have never had an issue with microbial growth.

On campden tablets. They are convient to measure for wine musts, but think about it, if you use one per gallon to preserve wine, how could that be enough to sanitize? Plus, that is very expensive vs bagged Kmeta.

Hal

Thank you, Hal!

I guess it's K-meta for me then. I usually use that, but have also used Campden tablets. According to Jack Keller's Glossary of Terms:

<DT>Campden Tablets:
<DD>Tablets used in winemaking to sanitize equipment and fermentation media and add free SO2 to the must or wine. When crushed and dissolved, they provide sulfur dioxide (SO2) in a convenient form. Tablets must be crushed to use, but this ensures the proper dosage and assists in their dissolution. The active ingredient in Campden tablets can be purchased bulk from most winemaker suppliers under its chemical name, potassium metabisulfite. For sanitizing bottles, primaries, secondaries, funnels and other equipment, two crushed tablets dissolved in 1 gallon of water will suffice. Do not rinse equipment after sanitizing. For adding to must, use one crushed and dissolved tablet per gallon of must and wait 12 hours before adding yeast. Campden tablets come in various sizes and doses, so inquire if not packaged with instructions. Most tablets are intended to dose 5 US gallons (19 liters) or 5 Imperial gallons (23 liters). Also see Potassium Metabisulfite and Sodium Metabisulfite.

So I thought they were okay.
smiley5.gif

With the bleach: I have used that too. I have rinsed my carboys out very well afterwards, as I posted above. I have never smelled bleach in any which way or form in my wines, so I guess I did a good job rinsing.

You learn something new everyday! I stand corrected!! Thanks again!

Martina</DD>Edited by: MedPretzel

I use a no-rinse followed by K-meta. Sounds though like I have not done
enough with the concentration. I've done about a teaspoon in 1/4th gallon
as a rinse. Sounds like I need to double or triple that. Not had any
problems but I've always been lucky and I'd rather be prudent.

I agree, and have adopted the motto: use more than less.

I've bought a no-rinse sanitizer from George the last time I ordered, so I feel pretty confident about my sanitizing practices. So far, so good. (knock on wood!)

M.

In this month's WineMaker Magazine, Tim Vandergrift talked about sanitizing in his wine kit article. His recomendation is K-Meta (Potassium Metabisulfite), which is what I have been recommending since day one. Edited by: geocorn

I was a little surprised about that article George as Tiim advocates rinsing after sanitizing with the K-Meta. I always thought that was one of the advantages, not having to rinse
smiley5.gif

I forgot he mentioned that. Since he wrote that for the masses, I think he mayjust be overcautious. When I met him in July, he stated that not rinsing would not increase the sulfite level by more than .3% at max.

Set me straight if I need it. All of my equipmet gets a good rinsing with hot water after each use and then I sanitize it before storing for next use. When I get ready to use my equipment again I just sanitize it again and use it. In other words, I am washing nothing in any kind of soap or other solution. Merely keeping everything rinsed good and sanitized. Do I need to be washing as well?

Waldo said:
Set me straight if I need it. All of my equipmet gets a good rinsing with hot water after each use and then I sanitize it before storing for next use. When I get ready to use my equipment again I just sanitize it again and use it. In other words, I am washing nothing in any kind of soap or other solution. Merely keeping everything rinsed good and sanitized. Do I need to be washing as well?

Waldo, thats how I do it to. I don't use any soap. Only other thing I ever use besides Easy Cleanis bleach which if diluted properly is quite acceptable to use. Just don't use it full strength as like others say, it is tough to rinse off. A dilution of 1:10 is easy to rinse off though and leaves no scent. Make sure to use unscented bleach. I use a spray bottle of bleach water after I am done using my equipment. I use EasyClean to sanitize before I use my equipment.

You hear most say to never use bleach but the commercial wineries use it and you know they will never rinse and scrub stuff as good as we do at home.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Always remember this simple rule for preparing all winemaking equipment:

"Visually clean then sanitize" So if you use your equipment and rinsing with hot water gets it visually clean you are done.

I use C-Brite exclusively for cleaning and sanitizing everything!

I use my equipment and rinse with hot water then let air dry. When ready to use I rinse with hot water, check for visually clean and sanitize.

When plain hot water does not clean something I use my sanitizer/cleaner to help remove soil mixed at a stronger concentration than for sanitizing.

I work in the pharmaceutical industry and we use the same practice of visually clean for certain pieces of equipment between different products.

Thanks all..Looks like I am on the right track. And guess I would be amiss if I did not retract my "Do not use any soap at all" statement. I do use a non scented Dawn detergent when cleaning and delabeling my used wine bottles. The less desirable chore associated with home wine making. Here are some photos of my setup for this chore.

Where it is done

2005-11-18_041411_bottle_washing_1.jpg

The Washing

2005-11-18_041827_bottles_soaping.jpg

Then rinsing

2005-11-18_041443_bottles_rinsing.jpg

Edited by: Waldo

I would suggest you stay away from detergents as they can leave a soapy film on your bottles.

Hey Waldo.........

Is the house next door for sale....
smiley36.gif

I could just come over and use your set up!

If I had a setup like that here I know one thing - my water hose would be
split from freezing and I couldn't expect to do much with my bottles until
they thawed in the rinse tub next spring! We're tossing firewood in the
stoves now...
smiley5.gif

20 degrees was what I read on the thermometer this morning at 8. That's without windchill. I'm freezing!!!

Thanks All.....Hopefully very soon the storage building in the picture ( The one beside my green lean to for my mower) will be insulated . a wine storage area partioned off and will oficially become "The Cats Meow" winery by next spring.

I began using the Dawn George upon recommendation from Hippie and have learned that it is taking at least 3 rinsings in really hot water to get all the soap out so I am open for suggestion as an alternate.

OxyClean works very well and does not leave a soapy residue. I would rinse once or twice and call it good.

Latest posts

Back