Sanitizing question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leelanau

Reaction score
Hi to my new forum friends! I have received my kit and supplies from George and am wondering how to sanitize all the equipment plus the primary fermentor and glass carboy - all with only 2 oz. of k-meta? It looks like you have to use that full 2 oz. of k-meta that came with the kit mixedwith 1 gal. of water. Any advice on this subject is appreciated as always! I was pleased with George's service and was so excited to see my kit arrive unharmed and ready to go into operation!
smiley17.gif
My first batch will be German Muller-Thurgau. George recommended this kit. It fits as my last name is German. Thanks, Leelanau

Basically, with K-meta, a little will go a long way. I keep about a gallon or two mixed at all times. Small items can be dipped in, larger ones sprayed if you have a spray bottle. For your carboys and primary, just dump some in, swish it about then back in your storage container. You can reuse it for a month or so, most even say just keep using it as long as you can still smell the sulfur.

Steve

Steve, Thanks for the info. I didn't realize you could reuse k-meta. You're saying you can put it back into your container to resuse? What type of container do you store it in? I was thinking about a gallon plastic milk jug w/a screw cap. Would that work using a funnel for returning it to the milk jug from the primary or carboy? Leelanau

leelanau,

I started out making fruit wines and rather than buying empty jugs, I bought 4L jugs of wine and after a while had quite a few. I use a 4L jug and like Branst mentioned, dip, dunk, and slosh the K-Meta on everything that touches the wine. I return the solutions to the jug and recap and use it for a few months and make a new solution. A long dishpan is nice to have for long spoons, fizz X drill stirring attachments, and other long items. I just clean the items good and toss them in the pan and pour thek-meta over them before using them on the wine.

pkcook, Great advice. Dishpan and some jugs it shall be. Thanks! I knew the forum members would be able to ease my worries and help with getting started. Leelanau

Leelanau,

I have an old plastic spaghetti container that I fill with K-meta when I make 1 gallon batches. I use it tostore my 8" stirring spoon (short spoon is fine for my 2 galbucket). Irinse the must from the spoonand drop it backinto the k-meta container until I needed to stir again.

Had a forum member comment once that he used a 4" pvc pipe capped on one endcut to the length of his long stirring spoon.He would fill it with k-meta and sanitize his spoon and other long items without having to use alot ofsolution. The pan seemedeasier for me.

pkcook, I am not related but used the name Leelanau as I am from southwest MI and visit the peninsula and the wineries located their during the year. Check out www.lpwines.com.There is a place we stay at when visiting(www.sunriselanding.com) that haschocolate covered dried cherries from Leelanau Fruit as a freebie in the rooms. Yummy! Hey, great idea on the cherry concentrate. Might be trying that.Are you from MI at all? Leelanau

I am just west of you in Spring Lake and south of Leelanau. Very cool place to visit and I would love to live up there! You'll have to come over this way this summer and we'll taste try our wines
smiley1.gif
I'm on my way out of town for 10 days. I'll be drinking rum for a bit and will miss the wines. Have fun...the people on this forum are awesome and very talented.

I have a 2.5 gallon icing bucket that I use to store my k-meta in. I can dip almost all my small items in it then I siphon some off into my larger containers, have to sanitize my hoses too. Once I'm done there I just dump back into the bucket for next time. I keep a cheapy garden sprayer from Wally World filled to spray down things like my bottle rack, counter and sinks to keep them sanitized as well.

Steve

Be sure to clean everything first so as to not "trash" out your meta.

Hi George and everyone, Yes I plan to clean first and then this may be a DUMB question, BUT should I let sanitized equipment air dry before using? Or dry with a towel? I have read your very helpful instructions sent with the kit thouroughly and have enjoyed the forum for additional answers. I'm a "rule follower" I guess.
smiley1.gif
Leelanau

If you clean first, all you should need to do is coat the object with sanitizer for 15-30 seconds, then use. Rinsing is not necesary or air drying. The amount of additional sulfites added will be completely negligible.

Thanks, George! I sent you an e-mail today from my regular e-mail thanking you for the prompt shipping and letting you know my Beginners Vintners Reserve kit arrived in excellent condition on Friday the 2nd. Thanks! German Muller-Thurgau per your suggestion - looking forward to starting. Leelanau

Leelanau, I usually just pour my sanitizer into my primary and clean
everything inside of it. It saves from having extra things to put up
later. I always keep a little solution in a mason jar for my airlocks
and hydrometer ect. on hand and as was said earlier it stays good as
long as you can still smell the sulfer.

Latest posts

Back