Sanitizing muslin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianD

Reaction score
How would you sanitize a piece of muslin in order to use it as a coarse filter for gross lees? This in in regards to a peach wine that I am making from fruit puree. Lots of references out there to using a santized piece of muslin for this purpose, but no mention as to how you santized it.

I'm thinking by boiling....

Brian

When I use a straining bag and the fabric I cover the primary buckets I wash the fabric real well, rinse well and soak in a small bowl of Sulfite solution....be interesting to see what others do????

I wash it and sanitize it in my dipping bucket of sanitizer. I have to admit that I just use a clean flour cloth dish towel that's been washed in bleach and then put in the drawer. Never thought about sanitizing it. Hmmm...
smiley5.gif

I use a quick rinse in K-meta or Na-meta sanitizing solution....treat it just like any other piece of equipment.

I've been spraying it with solution just before installing it as a cover for the primary.

BUT
Dont you have to rinse it in fresh water directly after sanatizing when using it as a filter????????????????

Yes...I guess I do rinse the straining bags after the Sulfite bath...didn't mention that...Glad you did...don't need that much more Sulfite in the must....I don't use a straining bag very often.

Latest posts

Back