sanitizer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaner

I believe it is just a cleaner, used for removing brewing deposits and labels.
Get Potassium Mea bisulfate and mix 3 tbls to a gallon of water.
Do not inhale the fumes!

Hairdresser you want to get One Step. That is a cleaner and Sanitizer. Oxy-Clean is the same thing and a lot cheaper. That is what I use.

Hairdresser you want to get One Step. That is a cleaner and Sanitizer. Oxy-Clean is the same thing and a lot cheaper. That is what I use.

Really? I was told by the owner of a brew supply chain that One Step was NOT a sanitizer.

Crap, it came with a wine kit i bought so i assumed it was a sanitizer , that's what i get for assuming. I have made 3 batched of wine without anything being sanitized. how bad is it?????

Chances are if you kept everything clean you're going to be ok, but going forward be careful to keep everything sanitized. I keep a meta solution in a qt spray bottle to spray any utensils before using them like spoons, hydrometer and hoses.

I've been using Easy Clean exclusively for a year now as a no rinse cleaner/sanitizer... Not to start a war, but from what I've found It creates a Hydrogen Peroxide solution, same as one step, same as Oxyclean, it even feels the same slippery consistency as the others... Only it's a bit cheaper when bought in bulk...

It's not a sanitizer per se. They haven't paid the government to list it as such. It will create a solution that will sanitize if in contact for 2 minutes. If you need more info, look at oxygen cleaners in the food industry out on the web.

Now I've only made 50 or so gallons using this method to clean/sanitize everything from carboys to old wine bottles, but so far, no problems :)

only if inhaled.... like George Carlin said... "saliva has been proven to be hazardous to your health, but only if taken in small amounts over a long period of time." :)

I took a whiff of potassium metabilsulphite solution yesterday as I was cleaning my carboys and racking my pee and didn't notice much (if any) scent/smell. I took a good sniff to get an idea of the smell since someone had mentioned it on the forum but didn't really get much of a scent from it. I know my mix wasn't weak as I ad 3 tbls per gallon. Maybe next time I will pay closer attention but didn't pickup on a noticeable smell. What should it smell like?

How many days old is this solution? It takes a few days fir to treally come out of solution withouit using citric acid.

The smell was strong, stunk up the whole house. 3 tablespoons to a gallon was used as a sanitizer. Hope it does not linger in the wine used a 1/4 teaspoon tom6 gallons.

Latest posts

Back