Sanitation every time question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great help to me. I have been sanitizing and cleaning every single tool every use. I need to fill up a bucket as per John's recommendation. I have gone through a lot of k-meta lol. I was wondering about this as I had been soaking my bottles, after already being rinsed, then spraying with a pink cleaner(can't remember the name, but meant for cleaning wine making tools), then rinsing, then sanitizing with k meta and rinsing again 3 more times with water before putting the bottles on the bottle tree for bottling. Do you all think this is ok, for my bottling as of now?

Hi,
I know this is a little late but I noticed you rinsed 3 more times before putting your bottles on the tree. If your using treated water (city water with chlorine) this might be bad. I rinse with water that has k-meta, drain, lay on side for a minute or two, pick up drain, place on tree. When I take off of tree I hold it upside down and shake back and forth slinging out what is at opening, then fill with wine. Then cork within seconds to a couple of minutes, with corks that have been (fumed) [not soaked] inside closed container with strong k-meta solution.
I just don't trust any water that has no k-meta. Hope this is helpful.

I to would not rinse after sanitizing. Wash with B-Brite (kinda like an Oxiclean), rinse with cold water, rinse or spray with k-meta solution (3 Tbs to a gallon), wait a few minutes and use.

I to would not rinse after sanitizing. Wash with B-Brite (kinda like an Oxiclean), rinse with cold water, rinse or spray with k-meta solution (3 Tbs to a gallon), wait a few minutes and use.

So you are leaving a residue of kmeta in your bottles, prior to putting wine in them?

I must be in the minority. After done fermenting, stirring, racking, etc., I wash everything off with hot water, then clean with either one-step or b-brite. After this, I rinse with hot water and put away in my bucket. It is an open bucket with all my supplies. No lid, no kmeta.
When ready to use a spoon, racking cane, etc., I grab it, rinse with hot water and use.
Never had any issues yet.

If I am reading correctly, it sounds like some of you are going through quite a bit of kmeta if you are changing it out every 2-4 weeks. I am all about keeping things clean, but that seems a little much.

So you are leaving a residue of kmeta in your bottles, prior to putting wine in them?

I must be in the minority. After done fermenting, stirring, racking, etc., I wash everything off with hot water, then clean with either one-step or b-brite. After this, I rinse with hot water and put away in my bucket. It is an open bucket with all my supplies. No lid, no kmeta.
When ready to use a spoon, racking cane, etc., I grab it, rinse with hot water and use.
Never had any issues yet.

If I am reading correctly, it sounds like some of you are going through quite a bit of kmeta if you are changing it out every 2-4 weeks. I am all about keeping things clean, but that seems a little much.

It's time to come out of the minority ;-). A little much?... no way dude, I buy this stuff by the tonnage. I'm like the priest on the Exorcist, I sling this stuff every where. When ever I make a new batch, anything with legs takes off running, Sterilized.

Nope, I really don't go through a lot of k-meta, relatively speaking, because I mostly spritz the solution. I've had k-meta solution stay strong, in a shut gallon plastic milk jug, for maybe up to 3 months.

haha
I am kind of a "minority kind of guy".

Anyway, I noticed one post said they change the solution every couple of weeks. That would go through quite a bit. Every few months is another story.

haha
I am kind of a "minority kind of guy".

Anyway, I noticed one post said they change the solution every couple of weeks. That would go through quite a bit. Every few months is another story.

Yes, all in fun. I also have other cleaners, star-san is one of them. I wash, scrub, wash again, but I always reach for the spritz or spray bottle, finishing it off with k-meta solution. Just can't let go, even after reading newer reviews. I do wish I knew what the level was after cleaning carboy or pail at racking to bottle. After adding per gallon dosage , sanitizing pail, sanitizing bottles and all.
If someone has the data, please let me know.

Hi,
I know this is a little late but I noticed you rinsed 3 more times before putting your bottles on the tree. If your using treated water (city water with chlorine) this might be bad. I rinse with water that has k-meta, drain, lay on side for a minute or two, pick up drain, place on tree. When I take off of tree I hold it upside down and shake back and forth slinging out what is at opening, then fill with wine. Then cork within seconds to a couple of minutes, with corks that have been (fumed) [not soaked] inside closed container with strong k-meta solution.
I just don't trust any water that has no k-meta. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks Dave. My water is from a well. It has been tested in the past, and is excellent quality. No added chlorine etc.

k-meta requires two minutes? When I watched the Master Vintner's Winemaking video (Tim Vandergrift) I see him just using a k-meta wet rag to wipe down the stir spoons and other small equipment. :?

And so on this subject as well ,,,,,,, by now all should have been clued in that no matter the process, no one has experienced any major problems!! Key is diligence in whichever method you use. Water extremes would be Sulphur smelling from a well or chlorine/chemical smelling from the city. Rarely is bacteria a problem, and if so I wouldn't be concerned with wine! My method ,,, simply wash bottles and equipment with hot water, let dry then rinse with K-meta sanitizing solution. By the time I need the bottles the K-meta has timed out and is neutral. Spritz equipment prior to use. I too have never had a problem ;)

And so on this subject as well ,,,,,,, by now all should have been clued in that no matter the process, no one has experienced any major problems!! Key is diligence in whichever method you use. Water extremes would be Sulphur smelling from a well or chlorine/chemical smelling from the city. Rarely is bacteria a problem, and if so I wouldn't be concerned with wine! My method ,,, simply wash bottles and equipment with hot water, let dry then rinse with K-meta sanitizing solution. By the time I need the bottles the K-meta has timed out and is neutral. Spritz equipment prior to use. I too have never had a problem ;)

My Uncle has well water that passed a inspection. Started getting a little sick. After a couple doctor visits ,with no success a close friend had water retested and the samples showed E.coli. Started drinking bottled spring water and is now better.

Edit: Guess it could happen in any water supply.

Last edited:
Could happen indeed! We sure take things for granted. Fortunately our bodies usually get just a LITTLE out of sorts when invaded vs. full blown. Again,, Diligence in our approach to warding off potential problems is key..

Latest posts

Back