Mosti Mondiale Sangiovese Toscano

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cindyjo

Reaction score
I have a question about my MM sangiovese toscano that I got on the mix and match special. It is the most expensive kit I have had and I do not want to screw it up.
I started this last Sat and the fermentation has been very active from day one. I do not recall taking the intial SG measurements. My fault. I did take measurements on Tuesday, day three and I thought it was around 1.060 so I thought I would give it more time to reach the needed stage of 1.040-1.050. So I took it today, day 5and it was 1.020.
There is still alot of bubbling going on even win the wine thief testing the SG, could the bubbles be pushing the hydrometer up giving me a false reading?
So what do I do now? wait until bubbling slows down to get a more accurate reading? I am in need of the forums wisdom
smiley9.gif

Thank you
Cindy

Cindyjo if the bubbles were pushing the hydrometer up, the actual reading would be even lower. 1.020 is much lower than the 1.040-1.050 you say the directions tell to rack at. Like Wade, I would also rack it now- just be sure to leave some headspace so it doesn't bubble over a lot. You may even want to set it in a tub to prevent a possible mess. Have fun with it and I bet it tastes great when it is done and aged a bit!

OK thanks for the input, I will rack as soon as I put the kid to bed.

Yeah Appleman, thanks for the warning about the bubbling over, I did put it on a tray but did manage to have a small volcano. With some quick moves I managed to transfer some of the wine back into the primary but I probably lost a glass worth. I am hoping to transfer the rest from the primary into the secondary within the next 24 hours?? Will that work?? There is probably a bottles worth in the bottom of the primary I would hate to loose. Any opinion on that??
C

Thats the main reason Im not fond of MM directions on this, it is way to volatile at this time and even more so at 1.040-1.050.

Any opinion on whether I can use what is left in the primary from 24 hours ago? Can I top up the carboy with the rements in the primary now that things are calmed down a bit?? Or is it safer to just dispose of this.
Thanks

Go on and top it off with the rest - just be careful. I agree with Wade on MM transferring over too soon, maybe to another primary but not a carboy. You may want to pick up some small #2 bungs that fit into wine bottles so you can save that wine to top it off with.
VPC

Next time put it in a gallon jug or somethere to keep it exposed to less air. Less chance of any problems and you have it for later when needed.

I have placed the remains in a 1.5 L bottle and have used it to top up the wine already. Everything is still very active

Latest posts

Back