Sake! - I'm Going For It!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well....I read that in the early part of the fermentation sake has a tendency to foam. Uh, yup!

Remember, this is a two gallon batch and this is a 5 gallon bucket. I'm amazed at how robust it is! Fridge came down a bit to 48F and the mash also came down, now at 52F.
Very thin, doesn't feel like there's any solids. And I can stir stir stir and those bubbles refuse to pop!

20240314_191334.jpg

And the foam is thick! And here's a surprise - the sake brewers have 7 names for the different kinds of foam. I'm not certain but I think I have mizu-awa right now.😆

Looks like a 7.9 gallon bucket is a better choice
Yeah, at least. Glad I didn't do a larger batch!

Apparently there are a couple dozen sake yeasts in Japan and they all have "foamless" versions. For example, my #9 would be designated #901. Obviously brewers can make more sake in the same container with foamless. It's highly restricted, though - I believe #7 and #9 are the only ones permitted outside Japan.

Foam production is finally decreasing.
Fridge temp holding steady at 46F, must temp continues to fall, 47F.

Still too thick to measure SG. Flavor so-so, changes for the better almost daily. It's going somewhere. Tasting was annoying, a billion tiny fragments of rice.

Not sure what kind of foam it is - maybe iwi awa (rock foam) or taka awa (high foam). 🤔 Anyone know for sure? 😂

20240320_085953.jpg

Getting close!

The foam is on the surface and dissipates easily when stirred. Fridge and must at 46F. Managed an SG reading, 1.010, so I may be straining and pressing in a couple days. And I have recipes lined up for the lees!

I think the foam is tama-awa, ball or bubble foam.

Not sure about the flavor. I think I'm detecting pineapple or melon.

20240328_174131.jpg

Sorry, bit behind....

The foam and bubbles were just on the surface, meaning I reached ji, "land" or "ground".

ji awa.jpg

I managed to get an SG, .990, which caught me off-guard - I was planning to transfer around 1.000. And transferring to jugs was NO FUN! My brew bag instantly clogged. Kneading the bag, which usually works, was slow going. I squeezed and manipulated the bag until it was small enough to fit in my fruit press. ("Take that you SOB!")

Pineapple flavor gone, melon definitely remains and my calculation put the ABV at 18.62%. I was hoping for 2.5 gallons but only got 2 and I think the transfer invigorated the ferment - bubbles like crazy, even into the airlocks! At 45F off-gassing doesn't seem likely to me.

20240403_134635.jpg

Boatload of lees, sake kasu, and it's actually delicious. There are cookbooks using using the lees for everything - cheese, ice cream, pickles, meat marinade, and so many more!

There were tiny crunchy pieces in the lees which I assume is the center of the rice grain. Diagnosing issues with wine is usually straightforward but with sake? Maybe my koji could have been better? Or maybe I didn't soak the rice long enough? Or maybe I didn't steam it enough? Or a dozen other little details!

20240402_162514.jpg

I'm excited about using the lees. First up, a bread starter! This is Day 2, about 4 hours after discard and first feeding, and it doubled quickly. Didn't pass the float test so I'm guessing a couple more discards and feedings.

For you bread geeks, I started with 50 gr lees, 50 gr water, 50 gr flour. Then I discarded half and to 75 gr starter I added 75 gr water and 75 gr flour. Without good directions I decided to treat it like a sourdough starter.

20240404_122807.jpg

I REALLY want to do this, but fermenting at 46 F will be difficult to manage. I'm thinking about this ...

and no, Mrs. WM81 will NOT be happy about putting buckets of fermenting material in our main fridge ... 😆
It can be done without a fridge but what a PITA. Winter temps would be helpful in that case.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to buy some apartment sized fridges for $20 each. Bought two, wish I bought four! This one is normally for vegetable ferments. The other will be modified for aging and fermenting sausage very very soon.

It can be done without a fridge but what a PITA. Winter temps would be helpful in that case.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to buy some apartment sized fridges for $20 each. Bought two, wish I bought four! This one is normally for vegetable ferments. The other will be modified for aging and fermenting sausage very very soon.
Craigslist also has dorm fridges often. Probably nearing the best time for availability - when colleges are done in the spring!

Latest posts

Back