Sad Face

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marctee

Reaction score
Three weeks ago my 1st year vines were gloriously happy. Suddenly a large number look near death. A single morning frost may have curled some leaves but I can't believe it's responsible for the die back...and some vines are remarkably healthy still. Water stress? Any thoughts?ImageUploadedByWine Making1411405081.621329.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1411405106.862005.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1411405129.099938.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1411405141.454539.jpg

Third pic is deer munching (still gotta get that fence done....

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

It could be water stress or it could be frost. It could be the season is ending. Since you mentioned frost, I presume you are in an area with cold during the winter. You may want to remove the grow tubes to let the vines harden off before winter. I took mine off in August.

How far apart from the dead looking vines are the green ones? If they are relatively close together I'd say water stress is the cause on the dead-looking vines. If you can, I would water the heck out of them, they may still be barely alive. If you can keep the roots alive they will probably send out new shoots next spring.

Pat

Presumably different areas of the vineyard hold water or drain water differently so I believe u r probably right, that it's water stress. Hopefully I can save some plants with a big watering and then maybe a nice soggy October. It's all a steep learning curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I would hesitate trying to get the vines to "bounce back" with new vegetative growth this close to the end of the season. If you do that, the new growth will be too tender to survive the winter. Make sure they have some water, but avoid trying to make them grow more now. They will come back fine in the sprin even if they look bad now. They aren't going to die.

Latest posts

Back