Rubbery Bandaid Smell and Taste Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So applied a light dose of reduless, it seemed to help a bit but not amazingly so. We are going to rack and redose but this time with acid 48 hours prior to the next reduless addition.

You may not need another dose of reduless. You wine might already be impregnated with copper. I suggest that you taste if after the 48 hour application of ascorbic acid.

How much ascorbic do you plan on using?

Ill try that. I plan on using 50mg/l ie the min recommended dose.

Seth,

With ascorbic acid, a little goes a very long way.

A standard low-end treatment of ascorbic acid is about 10ppm.

That is 0.04 grams of ascorbic acid per gallon of wine..

For a 5 gallon carboy, that translates to .2 grams TOTAL

Unless I did my math wrong (and that would not surprise me), at 50 milligrams per liter, I am afraid that you will be adding a total of 1 full gram, which I think is going to be too much.

Last edited:
Welp too late for that now, the guides I read said 50mg/l so that is what I used. I need to give her another sniff soon and see if it needs some more reduless.

Just a little update, it seems the smell of the wine is improving quite nicely. I have not yet added a second dose of redulees after adding the asorbic acid. I will give it a sniff today and see if it needs some more redulees.

Welp, looks like the ascorbic acid did the trick. The strawberry wine now smells like strawberry and the funky smell is now receded away and either blended in with the strawberry smell or has gone away to the point of not mattering anymore.

Thanks!

So glad it all worked out for you. This is the whole purpose of this forum....

enjoy and let us know how good it is after a bit of time of bottle aging.

Will do, we plan on racking her soon, adding honey to backsweeten to take the acidic edge off and bulk age for a month or so before filtering and bottling.

I agree whole heartedly, the tools and resources this forum makes available to amateur winemakers is invaluable.

Did some bench trials with a tasting glass and we decided to add in 334 grams of mostly raspberry honey with a little bit of pumpkin honey to the 6 gallons of strawberry wine to balance it out. We found that with larger amounts of honey that the strawberry kind of got a little intense. Not sure what the SG is but I will check it prior to bottling for future notes. I do not imagine the gravity is above 1.010 at the highest.

We will let this sit over the summer while we are gone in Oregon. We will bottle sometime after we comeback, so it should be a nice welcome back present for ourselves.

You are indeed an ambitious person mate. Like you spirit, At first I just thought that it may be the equipment. You know that good scales are very important when you are going to make good wine at home. Lets see what comes out when you come back....:snw

Last edited:
He thanks, well I am actually back now. I just have not gotten around to bottling yet. If all goes well it should end up in a bottle this weekend though. And yes, having good equipment really helps, but it does not make good wine/.

Welp, just got this guy filtered and into the bottle tonight. Overall, I think this will be a very nice if not slightly simple wine to enjoy on the weekends. I might upload a picture of the final result with some tasting notes soon.

Latest posts

Back