Rookie Year

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspang

Junior
Reaction score
Ok, I have been reading this forum for months now and thanks to everyone for all of the information. My wife & I enjoy wine and after my daughter got married this past March we decided to fill the void with making wine as a hobby. I searched many web sites looking for information mainly because I had no idea of how to start and what equipment I would need. When I found George’s web site and started watching the videos I knew right away I had found the help and information I needed. We bought the Premier Equipment Package and never regretted spending the extra money for the better equipment. So far we have made eight kits since mid April and we have two others getting ready to break out of the box. I’m in the process of building a wine cellar in a basement room that we used for storage – hopefully sometime this winter I’ll have it completed and post some photo’s. Again, I thank everyone for many hours of reading and learning and especially George and everyone from Fine Vine Wines for the great service.

Welcome to the forum. You chose a good one.

Welcome to the forum!
We decided to start before the boys moved out - free labor. What kits have you made so far and have you ventured into fruit wines?
VC

Welcome to the forum. 10 kits is one heck of a rookie year. You will find, as I did, that no question will go unanswered and there are no silly questions.

Thanks everyone. It's really great having this info and I'm sure I will always have plenty of questions. Below are the kits we have so far. No fresh fruit wines yet, not sure if I'm ready for that yet but I may try.

French Merlot
Australian Cabernet
2- Amarone
2- Baralo
Late Harvest Riesling Washington Reserve
Shiraz Merlot
Amarone with Raisons (just received) ( special last month)
Walla Walla Cabernet Merlot (not started yet)

I have 6 kits in glass just since July 11 '09 so am in the same shoes more or less.

I have the Walla Walla Caberlot bulk aging for about 2 months and the Amarone with raisins bulk aging for about a month. Both are already settling down nicely. I have to admit the Amarone though already taste like something special. I am going to have to hide that one (from myself no less)
smiley36.gif

Welcometo the best wine forum on the net
smiley20.gif
I see you are hooked like the rest of us in WMA
smiley36.gif
Since July 09, I have 4 in glass carboys bulk aging, 1 in primary and trying to decide what's next.

ibglowin said:
Welcome to WMA!

(wine makers anonymous)

We hold meetings daily!

Now THAT right there is funny stuff! I don't care who you are!! Thanks for the laugh, Mike.

Welcome aboard, jspang!!! This is a great place!

Thanks again to everyone. Need an opinion, really - how long should we wait on the wines we have bottled before enjoying them? I know about patience but this stuff looks so good!

Welcome jspang.
smiley36.gif
My personal rule of thumb for my wines is 1 yr.
It is soooooo hard to wait that long!!! But they are usually good at 12 months. Anything after that I get that "OMG this is great" taste!!
smiley36.gif

Yea I agree too. But, it also depends on what wine. Some "mist" kits are ready in a month. Some whites in 6 monthe. Some BIG reds 18-24 months (like Amarone & Brunello).
"Taste" after 6 months.
"Taste" after 9 months.
"Taste" after 12 months.
You will see a big difference in the taste in the reds.
Oh My! there are the 3 T's" again..
smiley2.gif

jspang,

I appreciate your initial post. I had the same experience with George's videos. I stumbled into the forum a couple of weeks after starting my first kit.

I haven't been here long, but I can tell you that there are a lot of folks here happy to lend a hand and share their knowledge.

Good luck with the self control. I just keep making wine so that I'm too busy to consume it. I'm betting on this plan for the first year!

Latest posts

Back