RJ Spagnols RJS winery series Super Tuscan Specific Gravity concern

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btmcdavid

Junior
Reaction score
started the kit with a SG of 1.098. Its been 10 days now and it sits at 1.008. The kit says I should not continue to secondary Fermentation till I'm at 1.000 or lower but also says I should be there somewhere between day 6 and 8. There is still a bit of bubbling in the airlock. Should I continue on to secondary, stir it up more, leave it until it goes to 1 or what do you think. I am also using Wyeast Laboratories YEAST STRAIN: 4244 Italian Red in place of the dry packet that came with the kit.

right now my calculator says that alcohol content between 1.098 and 1.008 is only 12.2 which is pretty weak.

Thanks!

Ben

I would leave it and let it do its thing. I have racked at 1.010 and have had no problems and I have left some kits 2 weeks in primary with no problems. In fact, several of the kits I have made called for primary for 2 weeks. You are golden no matter your decision.

One SG calculator shows 1.000 as the lowest you will go. 4244 has a 14% tolerance.

Yeast is likely getting close to its tolerance, and will need time to ferment the remaining sugar.

What is your temperature? 4244 likes 55-75 degrees.

I'm on the upper end of that but under 75 the majority of the time. When you say need time to ferment, would you recommend primary or rack to secondary?

I don't think everyone would agree with me, but I see no reason not to re-inoculate it with a yeast with a higher alcohol tolerance. Yes, you don't typically want yeast "fighting," but this close to the finish line, I don't think that matters. Personally, I would wait a few days to see if SG continues to drop, but be prepared to make a starter of Lalvin EC-1118, Red Star Premier Cuvee, or Red Star Pasteur Champagne if it does not go down any.

I made the kit about 1 year ago, and used the EC-1118 yeast that came with it. It was down to .992 in 8 days. I'm guessing your yeast will take longer. I would give it a good stir and rack all you can to a carboy, and put an airlock on it.

If it stalls at 1.008, you might try pitching the EC-1118 to get it to finish.

What temperature are you fermenting at? If it is too cool I'd warm it up to mid-70s and let it go for a couple of more days. Then test the SG.

So too late I got anxious and racked it to let it finish fermentation in a carboy. Now I realized this kit has a step during this time to add pectinase which is not in any other kit I have done. Will this hurt fermentation in any way if I add it now?

I've made this kit twice and both times ended up with SG at 1.100 or higher. Both wines are around 15% ABV and fermented down to 0.994 and 0.996. First batch used EC-1118 and I went with BM4X4 for the second. I think your starting gravity was probably higher than you think, due to the solids in the grape pack not being dissolved. I agree with what others have said in that you should give it some time and pitch EC-1118 if you're not getting to completely dry. I can't help you with the pectinase - it wasn't included in the kit when I made it (most recently in November).

I agree with most of the above. I would have given it some more time in the primary. It may be that the yeast you used just works slower. I used the included EC-1118 and had it below 1.000 in 10 days.
Don't get hung up on the "days recommended" by the manufacturer. Things don't always go exact and those days are basic guidelines.

I too never had any pectinase with my kit(made September 2014).

Wine experts super tuscan

spagnols makes a great kit but this is how the we kit works out on sg.will start at 1.10 and move up to 14/15% through capitalization ,fpac and 1/2 cup of raisins.

16.jpg

17a.jpg

update: its been 15 days since start. I racked it from primary after 10 days or so and pitched a fresh batch of EC-118 at 1.008. Its now 1.003, 2 days ago it was 1.004. I'm not sure its going to get to 1.000. Any advise at this point? By now I should be racking it again and clearing but I know those days are not set in stone. Should I just leave it sit for a week or so, or keep trying to figure out a way to restart or continue fermentation?

Made it to 1.000. Victory and time to move on [emoji3]. Just racked again and added clearing agents along with some additional French Oak cubes. In 6 weeks or so I will rack into an almost neutral oak barrel and let er rest

Very cool experiment! which yeast do you think made the better wine?

I just used a rc212 over ec1118. can't wait to sample it

So far, the BM4X4 is much better. But it's only about 6 months old. It is barrel aging now. I'll bottle in the fall.

Latest posts

Back