RJ Spagnols RJS Dashwood New Zealand Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

admiral

Reaction score
Well, in Louisville today we have snow. (About 6 inches on top of 2 inches from the weekend.) (See pictures below.) What to do, what to do?
smiley38.gif
I know, I'll make wine!! How about a RJS Dashwood New Zealand Pinot Noir? Great! I was excited! So excited that I didn't put the bentonite into the mixture until after I added the juice to the warm water. Never fear, I added it and then stirred like crazy and got it all mixed in. I then added the Hungarian Oak cubes that come with this kit and then took my initial SG which was 1.096. If this ferments to dry at SG .996 then I will have a Pinot Noir with an ABV of 13.2%.

I then added the grape skins that come with this kit. I have never used this type of additive before. It looked a awful lot like course sawdust. I decided to not put it in a bag and to go for greater extraction by putting it directly into the must. When moistened, it had a great aroma. I stirred like crazy but this stuff adheres to everything. When I pulled my spoon out of the must, it looked like a fuzzy snake. Oh well. Finally I pitched the yeast on top of the moistened skins and put the lid on. I am looking forward to seeing how this one works out.
20100209_165326_P1010287_Small.JPG

20100209_165900_P1010283_Small.JPG

&lt; ="Content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8"&gt;&lt; name="ProgId" content="Word."&gt;&lt; name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"&gt;&lt; name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"&gt;file:///C:\DOCUME~1\JIMSTA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_filelist.xml<a href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CJIMSTA%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_editdata.mso" target="_blank"><!--[if !mso]>
<>
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}

<![endif]--><o:smarttag namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttag><o:smarttag namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttag><!--[if gte mso 9]><>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:punctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
</><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
</><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><
id="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></>
<>
st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }

<![endif]-->&lt;&gt;
<!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:Helvetica;
panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;
mso-font-charset:0;
mso-generic-font-family:swiss;
mso-font-pitch:variable;
mso-font-signature:536902279 -2147483648 8 0 511 0;}
@font-face
{font-family:Tahoma;
panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;
mso-font-signature:1627421319 -2147483648 8 0 66047 0;}
@font-face
{font-family:Verdana;
panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;
mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;}
@font-face
{font-family:Webdings;
panose-1:5 3 1 2 1 5 9 6 7 3;
mso-font-charset:2;
mso-generic-font-family:roman;
mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.Msonormal, li.Msonormal, div.Msonormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:, span.MsoHyper
{color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;
text-underline:single;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperFollowed
{color:purple;
text-decoration:underline;
text-underline:single;}
span.apple-style-span
{mso-style-name:apple-style-span;}
span.apple-converted-space
{mso-style-name:apple-converted-space;}
span.EmailStyle18
{mso-style-:personal;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
color:black;}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
mso-er-margin:.5in;
mso-footer-margin:.5in;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
-->
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
<>
/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<![endif]-->

</a><div style="text-align: center;" align="center">

<hr align="center" size="2" width="100%">

<a href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CJIMSTA%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_editdata.mso" target="_blank">
20100209_170231_P1010290_Small.JPG

</a>

I didnt know the Pinot comes with a grape skin kit, thats going o be a good oe. Ill have to make 1 of those cause I dont have a Pinot in my cellar!

I could not get these next two into my previous post. It is very difficult to post multiple pictures. Ithink you have to post them in reverse order.

20100209_171004_P1010288_Small.JPG

20100209_170756_P1010292_Small.JPG

wade said:
I didnt know the Pinot comes with a grape skin kit, thats going o be a good oe. Ill have to make 1 of those cause I dont have a Pinot in my cellar!

Wade, does that look like grape skins on the surface of the must?

Yep, it looks like sawdust to me, too.
I have not make a RJS kit, yet, so I would have expected something like
the "grape jelly" that comes in the cellar craft kits, except that RJS does say, "dried" grape skins, doesn't it?

I'll bet it will turn out great.

Yes, it looks like sawdust. Tastes like sawdust. I think it must be sawdust. Although I have never seen RJS's dried grapeskins.
smiley5.gif

Wow, you have stuff that good just lying around the house waiting for a snow day!

Sooooo jealous. Can't wait the hear the updates and tasting notes.
smiley17.gif

Hate to jump in the middle; but, DID you check under the juice bag for the grape skins?

ibglowin said:
Wow, you have stuff that good just lying around the house waiting for a snow day!

Sooooo jealous. Can't wait the hear the updates and tasting notes.
smiley17.gif

Been waiting for a special day.

I started this kit on 8/22/09.....According to my notes it only had hungarian oak and some toasted oak, no grape skins......

The product code was 20081126, so it possibly could have changed.....

Plan on bulk aging this for 1 year min....I hope its a good one!!!

I started this one about a month ago, and I didn't find any grape skins, either. I was really surprised because I thought all En Primeur kits came with skins, and that's the main reason I chose this kit. However, upon reading RJS's website, I noticed that the description of this kit does not say, "With Winery Grape Skins" like other kits have in their description.

I'm sure it will still be great, just doesn't have the skins.

It is working away. The winery smells great. I was surprised at the small cap this one made and it went away quickly. The oak dust has stopped floating on top as well.

It actually makes perfect sense when you think about it for a moment. Pinot Noir is a very soft, delicate red. Not a giant bold chewy red. No grape pack needed!

Catrys said:
I started this one about a month ago, and I didn't find any grape skins, either.  I was really surprised because I thought all En Primeur kits came with skins, and that's the main reason I chose this kit.  However, upon reading RJS's website, I noticed that the description of this kit does not say, "With Winery Grape Skins" like other kits have in their description.I'm sure it will still be great, just doesn't have the skins.

I wouldnt think a Pinot Noir would have grape skins either hence why I was surprised when they said it did.

It was my fault for thinking it. As Catrys noted above, most of the En Primeur kits have Genuwine skins, and I assumed the same. Then I opened the box and there was an unlabeled aluminum envelope. Again, I assumed that this was the grape skins as I had never seen oak dust packaged this way. So when I opened the package, I was surprised. Yes, if I had thought about it, I would have come to the conclusion that Pinot Noir doesn't require grape skins. But, who needs to think when you can assume.
smiley5.gif

You're right, Mike and Wade, if I had stopped to think about the fact that this is a Pinot, it would make more sense that it doesn't have grape skins.

I guess I just figured that since the skins added to, say, a Cab kit make it more like a commercial Cab, then skins added to the Pinot kit should make it more like a commercial Pinot.

The Pinot is the only red that does not come with Genuwine skins.

I racked this one to secondary today. SG .998. I can't believe the taste of this pinot! Oh yes, it is very young and harsh but, behind the harshness there is cherry and raspberry fruit. My wife said, "It is young, but it is good already." The oak has supplied very firm tannins but there is also a hint of vanilla from the Hungarian oak. I am very pleased.
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back