RJS Cru Select. Sangiovese 16 l kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper🍷

Reaction score
Just finished my last bottle of this from 5/16/2018 and wish I had more so I ordered another same kit. In the 2018 kit I used Wyeast 4424 everything else according to instructions. This 2021 kit I plan on using BM 4x4 yeast Any other suggestions. Raisins extra nutrients etc. Thanks

Yeah raisins are a good idea. Also, if you have a Costco nearby they have frozen cherries that have no preservatives. I have found cherry juice at the grocery store that is nothing but pasteurized juice.

Just finished my last bottle of this from 5/16/2018 and wish I had more so I ordered another same kit. In the 2018 kit I used Wyeast 4424 everything else according to instructions. This 2021 kit I plan on using BM 4x4 yeast Any other suggestions. Raisins extra nutrients etc. Thanks
Hi Yooper...

Curious what your BM 4x4 yeast protocol is for Reds (sounds a bit more needy than EC1118)-- thinking about swapping out the typically kit provided EC1118 for it in a future Red.

Thanks & Cheers!

Hi Yooper...

Curious what your BM 4x4 yeast protocol is for Reds (sounds a bit more needy than EC1118)-- thinking about swapping out the typically kit provided EC1118 for it in a future Red.

Thanks & Cheers!
Not Yooper but I've been using BM4x4 on my last 3 wine kits. First two I used 7.5 g of yeast and 7.5 g of Go Ferm in a cup of water which is between 95F-105F (so I target 100F), stir and let sit for 20 minutes then pitch without stirring. When 1/3 of sugar depleted, add 5 grams of Ferm K. That regimen has worked fine and reliably gotten to 0.995 or lower in 7-10 days at ambient temps which are at the low end low 60s. I've added a brew band if the ferment gets below 64F at the end to make sure no stall out, but otherwise I prefer the slower/cooler active ferment.

3rd kit with BM4x4 is one of those new Finer Wines kits which includes nutrients and acid to make a yeast starter (with RC 212 yeast included), I used their yeast starter packet but subbed BM4x4, and added their 2nd yeast nutrient pack at 1/3 of sugar depletion.

I'm new to wine making but read up a fair bit and so far those similar protocols has worked for me, the last kit is still fermenting actively.

Not Yooper but I've been using BM4x4 on my last 3 wine kits. First two I used 7.5 g of yeast and 7.5 g of Go Ferm in a cup of water which is between 95F-105F (so I target 100F), stir and let sit for 20 minutes then pitch without stirring. When 1/3 of sugar depleted, add 5 grams of Ferm K. That regimen has worked fine and reliably gotten to 0.995 or lower in 7-10 days at ambient temps which are at the low end low 60s. I've added a brew band if the ferment gets below 64F at the end to make sure no stall out, but otherwise I prefer the slower/cooler active ferment.

3rd kit with BM4x4 is one of those new Finer Wines kits which includes nutrients and acid to make a yeast starter (with RC 212 yeast included), I used their yeast starter packet but subbed BM4x4, and added their 2nd yeast nutrient pack at 1/3 of sugar depletion.

I'm new to wine making but read up a fair bit and so far those similar protocols has worked for me, the last kit is still fermenting actively.
Thanks! (Didn't mean to hijack this thread! lol)

How's the flocculation / lees??

Cheers!

Thanks! (Didn't mean to hijack this thread! lol)

How's the flocculation / lees??

Cheers!
Officially:
BM4X4

Species : Wine
Fermentation Temp Range (°F) : 59-76
Apparent Attenuation Range (%) : n/a
Flocculation : Low
Alcohol Tolerance : 16%%

And that is my experience, but I've also been doing my last couple ferments without Bentonite, which also reduces the amount of gross lees at the bottom.

I also would like to add either zante currants or thawed frozen cherries (no preservatives) or both. What is your suggestion.
The Tweaking Cheap Kits thread suggests 1-2 C Zante Currants for Sangiovese 5-6 gallon kits. Oftentimes from that thread a takeaway for me was "less is more" and "pick one, not both." By the way, I did the RJS Cru International Sangiovese before I read all of the "Tweaking" thread. Mine is ok but next time I'll add Zante Currants.

The Tweaking Cheap Kits thread suggests 1-2 C Zante Currants for Sangiovese 5-6 gallon kits. Oftentimes from that thread a takeaway for me was "less is more" and "pick one, not both." By the way, I did the RJS Cru International Sangiovese before I read all of the "Tweaking" thread. Mine is ok but next time I'll add Zante Currants.
What benefits do Zante Currants provide vs Raisins?

Thanks & Cheers!

They've suggested both actually after a quick review. 1-2 Cups Zante Currants in primary, and 1 pound of black raisins and 4 Tbs of powdered oak in secondary. Also adjust your starting SG to 1.100 depending on the kit you purchase. They had used a WinExpert kit.

The tweaks mentioned here are in addition to the normal stuff sent with the kit. Keep in mind I've not done this particular tweak but have had excellent luck with all the other suggestions I've tried.

Thanks. BM4x4 came today, currants coming Wednesday. Start Thursday or Friday. Prob Friday. Smoking 2 large pork butts Thursday.will keep informed
Gonna do 1st pork butt smoking this weekend...any tips? ✌

They've suggested both actually after a quick review. 1-2 Cups Zante Currants in primary, and 1 pound of black raisins and 4 Tbs of powdered oak in secondary. Also adjust your starting SG to 1.100 depending on the kit you purchase. They had used a WinExpert kit.

The tweaks mentioned here are in addition to the normal stuff sent with the kit. Keep in mind I've not done this particular tweak but have had excellent luck with all the other suggestions I've tried.
What do zante currants provide vs raisins?

I’m thinking mouth feel. What’s interesting I decided to add 8 oz Zante currants and 12 oz crushed frozen and thawed sweet cherries. While I was preparing the BM4x4 and Go-ferm the SG raised from 1.000 to 1.100 looks to about 14+. At 1/3 sugar consumption I’ll add the Ferm-k. It is really active and has a great smell and taste as it works. A lot different smell that when using EC1118 I think I could describe it as fruitier and sweeter.

I’m thinking mouth feel. What’s interesting I decided to add 8 oz Zante currants and 12 oz crushed frozen and thawed sweet cherries. While I was preparing the BM4x4 and Go-ferm the SG raised from 1.000 to 1.100 looks to about 14+. At 1/3 sugar consumption I’ll add the Ferm-k. It is really active and has a great smell and taste as it works. A lot different smell that when using EC1118 I think I could describe it as fruitier and sweeter.
Good luck! Keep us posted on our progress :) I've got that vino on my list to make.

Cheers & Happy Memorial Day!

Ok. Started Friday 5/28 in morning SG at 1.110, heater set to 71 degrees. 7.5G BM4x4 and 7.5G gofers. By Friday eve already good fermentation. By Sunday major fermenting, no coming or froth just tremendous amount of bubbles, in fact temp had raised to 73.4 with no heat. Checked SG and it had consumed 1/3 of sugar so added 5G ferm-k. Checked this morning and still actively fermenting but temp has dropped to 71.3. Basement is around 68 degrees. SG has dropped to 1.030. Think by tomorrow it will be time to rack into a carboy till fermentation is complete - ready for another rack and clarifying. Any suggestions.

SG dropped to 1.020 yesterday afternoon. Racked into a carboy and it really took off. Had to put one of my blow off plugs and tubes for about 4 hours. Put airlock back on but it’s constantly bubbling. Ended up with 5 gal carboy and 3/4 gal (also under airlock) for top off later. I did loose about an inch in the carboy blowing off foam.

Latest posts

Back