RJ Spagnols RJS Coffee Port (style)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this kit in the primary right now. I noticed that they included a change to the instructions. They say to add the F pack at bottling instead of in the secondary. Last month I made the chocolate orange port kit and it did not have this alteration. I wonder what the reasoning is to adding the F pack later. I figure I'll be short on my secondary, volume wise, if I add the F pack at bottling.

Yes you will (be short in the secondary). I had to do my secondary in two, one gallon jugs and a 750ml bottle.

Yes you will (be short in the secondary). I had to do my secondary in two, one gallon jugs and a 750ml bottle.

What a pain in the butt. They should include enough juice to utilize a 3 gallon carboy. Grrr...

I guess I could go buy a bunch of marbles. Anything to watch out for with this method?

:u I pitched the yeast on 10-24-11. Stabilized on 11-4-11. When I degassed I had a ton of foam. I worked it for a long time and could never get it to stop foaming. After about an hour and a half of degassing, I put it back into carboys/jugs of appropriate size. On 12-13-11 after it had cleared substantially, I transferred the wine back to the 3-gallon carboy and added the finishing blend. Today, 2-25-12, I thought I would fortify it with a couple bottles of E&J Brandy. I transferred it to a bucket to see how much gas was still left in it. OMG! It was as if I hadn't even started to degas it. I'm still getting tons of foam which just seems to lay on top and not go away. Since I'm still getting a lot of gas, I've decided not to fortify it today and just put it back into the carboy. :? :? :? :?

Anybody else having a gas problem?? LOL

Last edited:
How about you, Dan or flapbreaker? Did you have excessive gas with the coffee port?

Mike, I have not looked at it since I racked it back into the 3 gallon carboy. I'll try to remember to take a look at it this week. You really need to stop using Dawn as a clearing agent. :)

Actually, I stopped using Dawn and switched to Bubble Bath. Smart a$$. LOL
Let me know what you find out. Thanks! Mike

How about you, Dan or flapbreaker? Did you have excessive gas with the coffee port?

I put mine in the secondary last week. I'm new to this degassing thing. It seemed like the bubbles would keep coming so I finally just stopped trying. I was using a jury rigged pump so I didn't stir it to degas. I didn't seem to have a problem with foam and the sentiment seemed to have fallen to the bottom pretty readily. Hope it all turns out. Mine is kind of been bastardized though. I topped my 3 gallon carboy off with a little over a litre of brandy but that still wasn't enough to volume. I was kind of stuck and went ahead and added some of the coffee flavor. I will add the rest at bottling.

Well, this wine has been in the bottle for about a 3 weeks. I couldn't resist opening one and I must say that it's quite good. My family seemed to think it was the best they had tried. I had also made the orange chocolate port and I must say I'm a little disappointed in that one. Can't quite put my finger on it but I just don't like it as much as the coffee port. I don't think more than 1 liter of brandy is necessary.

Back