Rinse after sterilizing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcalli1

Reaction score
I realise this isn't a particularly earth shattering post, but I'm curious what the consensus is on rinsing a carboy after sterilising and before racking with sulfiting. Seems to me that not rinsing is the safer option.

If you speak of cleaning and sanitizing that is the norm, but it is not considered sterilizing. Rinsing after sanitizing would depend on sanitizer used. KMS/SMS is typically not rinsed away, the only one I use.

I try to let my equipment dry after sanitizing, but I do not rinse. I use a k-meta solution or Star San depending on the piece of equipment and my mood at the time.

Thanks. I'm racking out of secondary tomorrow and adding k-meta when I do. But I sanitize with a much higher dose of k-meta, so I guess my question really is . . . If I don't rinse after sanitizing, and I add k-meta at 1/4 tsp am I not effectively adding even more k-meta or is the added k-meta insignificant? (I'm probably over thinking this.)

I use k-meta solution and I do not rinse or let it completely dry. I just transfered 10 - 6 gallon containers in approx 1 1/2 hours and I do not have time to let the carboys dry when I am in the transfering stage. I do only use 1 tsp of sulfite and 1 tsp of citric acid (or tartric acid ) per 1 gallon of water as a santizer solution - then using my carboy cleaner

Thanks. I'm racking out of secondary tomorrow and adding k-meta when I do. But I sanitize with a much higher dose of k-meta, so I guess my question really is . . . If I don't rinse after sanitizing, and I add k-meta at 1/4 tsp am I not effectively adding even more k-meta or is the added k-meta insignificant? (I'm probably over thinking this.)

The way that you wrote this makes it sound like you are not pouring out the excess k-meta solution. If this is the case, you are definitely adding a lot of extra SO2 to your wine.

To clarify my use of k-meta: I have a pre-measured k-meta solution for sanitation in a milk jug at all times. I pour some amount of this into my carboy, swish it around to make sure that every inch comes in contact with the solution, pour the excess back into my milk jug (there is still plenty clinging to the interior surface), set the carboy aside so that the gas produced by the k-meta solution can fill the carboy (it is the gas that does the sanitizing), then right before use I pour out any solution that has pooled inside of the carboy.

botigol said:
The way that you wrote this makes it sound like you are not pouring out the excess k-meta solution. If this is the case, you are definitely adding a lot of extra SO2 to your wine.

To clarify my use of k-meta: I have a pre-measured k-meta solution for sanitation in a milk jug at all times. I pour some amount of this into my carboy, swish it around to make sure that every inch comes in contact with the solution, pour the excess back into my milk jug (there is still plenty clinging to the interior surface), set the carboy aside so that the gas produced by the k-meta solution can fill the carboy (it is the gas that does the sanitizing), then right before use I pour out any solution that has pooled inside of the carboy.

I wrote poorly, then. My process is essentially the same as yours. Thanks.

I figured as much, but better to broach the subject than assume, especially when wine is at stake!

Latest posts

Back