rigging an imitation steam juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intoxicating

Reaction score
I have a lot of kitchen pots and kettles and I am interested in trying to rig a two gallon double boiler or steamer from equipment on hand. I don't have the money to buy a proper steam juicer. I plan to put a rack in the bottom of a canning kettle that is around 4 to 5 gallons. This will keep the inside kettle off the bottom and in the water or steam. Then put in a two gallon stainless kettle to hold the fruit, and put the canner lit on top to hold in the steam. The main difference I can see is that the juice will not drain off the fruit as it steams. How long do you steam the fruit, and how many cups, gallons, or pounds of fruit do you process at a time?

I am thinking you would need to fabricate a spout to the pan to drain the juice or keep the fruit off the bottom of the pan with something like a colander. Keep an eye on Craigs list for a used one or post an ad looking for a used one is another option.

The set comes with a strainer insert and a colander. What would be the reason to keep the fruit out of the juice?

Keeping the fruit out of the juice keeps pulp out - which makes sediment. Since you can leave in seeds, skins, etc, you would not want that in your juice.
Otherwise, I would think you would have to strain it.

With the spigot coming out the side, you can simply put it directly into sterilized canning jars, and it seals itself. That may be hard to do when having to strain it too......

From one batch, I get about 2-1/2 to 3 quarts of juice from apples. That's all I have used it for so far....and it steamed for an hour to 90 minutes.

Back