Cellar Craft Riesling Still Fermenting!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocroach

Reaction score
I started making the Cellar Craft Specialty Washington Riesling Ice Wine style kit (3 gallon) on December 1st, 2013 and racked into into the secondary fermenter (I used three 1 gallon carboys, since I did have a 3 gallon carboy available) on December 21st. It was fermenting like crazy, so I decided to wait an additional week before racking to secondary. It's now January 17th and the fermenting has almost stopped, but not quite, as I still see a bubble or two coming up every few seconds. The directions say to wait until the bubbling has completely stopped, before processing to the stabilizing and clearing stage, but this seems to be way over due from the recommended stabilizing date which should have been the first week of January.

Should I be concerned? Should I do anything to stop it, or should I wait it out?

This is the first wine wine I have made.

Seems like to me you wouldn't want to ferment the sugar completely out of a Riesling. What is your SG?

What was your starting sg and what is it now. You would need to know this to tell if it is still fermenting. Bubbles do not tell you whether it is still fermenting or not. It could very well just need to be degassed.

Thanks for the responses! Sorry for the delay; I didn't get a chance to get back to the wine until yesterday. The bubbling finally stopped. I took an SG reading of 1.06, before breaking my hydrometer. (This my fourth one!). The reading looks to be in normal range according to the instructions. (I forgot to take the initial reading.)

I had a little taste after I racked it and before I put in the finning agents. The wine tastes pretty good, but it's quite sweet!! I'm hoping this subsides as it sits and clears.

Latest posts

Back