riddle this please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LCW

Reaction score
Took 12 gallons of muscadine wine all primary fermented toegether in 3 6 gallon buckets all tested same in acidity and SG syphoned in 4 3 gallon carboys first 3 all doing well last one it took almost a quart of finished wine to top off the carboy.First 3 doing great the 1 finished with a quart of wine has changed color and seems to have stopped fermenting should I be concerned LCW

A few quick questions:
How significant was the color change?
Is it brown?
What kind of wine did you use to top it off?
A quart is a bit of wine to use, essentially, 1/11th of the volume of that was in the 3 gallon carboy,(12 quarts = 3 gallons, minus the 1 quart that you had to add, making the original volume before adding the quart of top off wine 11 quarts) I'm not sure if that is a major factor.
Have you taken a gravity reading to possibly justify or confirm that the fermentation that has stopped?
I've never made muscadine wine so maybe someone with muscadine experience can chime in.

the quart of finish that you added, was it a sweet wine?

It was muscadine wine I had made the prior year.The color change is not offensive it is color of a almost finished red muscadine wine.I have not checked the SG but I will.There are no bubbles in the airlock though.

I am thinking that the addition of the previous year's had sorbate in it and you just added that to your wine that is fermenting. In the future just remember you do not need to top up until fermentation has completed.

Julie I think you are spot on the SG on carboy in question is .992 while the others is 1.000 would you add any more yeast or let the cards fall where they are.thanks all LCW

It's simple. The one in question at .992 is finished fermenting. The ones at 1.000 are not yet dry so they are still going. The others will change to the same color as they finish up or shortly after. Now let the one finish clearing and the others will after they are done. Don't sulfite until they are done. Are you planning on sweetening at all?

I will backsweeten but I'll bulk age for a few months.My basement stays in the low to mid 60s.Thanks LCW

Latest posts

Back