RHUBARB WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks Great NW and JW.

How many gallons of juice did you get from 30 pounds NW?

How many gallons are you making total?

There was over 3 gallons of juice, then I added the pinapple to it...hope to get 5-6 gallons of wine...

NW, since I don't have a steamer, would I get similar results if I boiled the rhubarb? Or, should I just let it thaw in the pineapple juice? Looking at the yeast I have on hand..K1-V1116, Pasteueur Red, Cotes des Blancs, or Pasteur Champagne...Suggestions?

JWMINNESOTA said:
NW, since I don't have a steamer, would I get similar results if I boiled the rhubarb? Or, should I just let it thaw in the pineapple juice? Looking at the yeast I have on hand..K1-V1116, Pasteueur Red, Cotes des Blancs, or Pasteur Champagne...Suggestions?

I think people have good results thawing rhubarb with sugar and adding the pulp to the primary bucket...I would think you you can also add the pinapple juice at the time of thawing....I am kind of just winging-it.

I am using EC-1118...which I think is like the Pasteur Champagne...not sure on that on tho...hope others will comment....I want a dry wine.

The Pasture Champagne is a good strong fermenter, should go to dry, I suppose the whole idea of the added pineapplejuice is to extract the rhubarb's juices, so thats how I will wing it, should start it tomorrow, last of the rhubarb in freezer tonight.

In the recipe I kind of followed the fellow added the pineapple juice to offset the oxalic acid in the rhubarb with a different acid [malic]...as well as for flavor.

I also used someCalcium Carbonate to cut the acid as the author of that recipe did. He had done everything in metric and for a 12 gallon batch [46 litres]...so I am kind of winging the whole batch...

The must tastes awesome....I used more pineapple than he did perhaps a mistake...time will tell.

When he sugar extracted his juice besides the sugar he added his campden tablets [sulfite] pectic enzyme and the calcium carbonate and let it sit.Edited by: Northern Winos

I got it all together today, few modifications. I used Old Orchard frozen Pineapple/Orange as it was all local store had, threw in a 46 oz of Dole Pineapple juice just for good measure. Not using straining bag, started to, but figure what the heck, I haven't been and having good results, just takes more time the old fashioned way.Nutrient and Yeast go in tomorrow after checking SG, time will tell what we get.6 gallon batch of something on the way!

Here an article I found while rumaging through Jack keller's site, you two may find it interesting:

Now is the time for picking rhubarb (well over here it is) and making
rhubarb wine or sparkling rhubarb wine.

Problem with rhubarb is the high acidity and more specific:
Oxalic acidity.

Oxalic acid is really nasty so people have been making rhubarb
wine for decades by dilluting the must or bringing the acid down
with chalk.

Now there is a revolutionary new method.

First make juice by cutting the rhubarb in small pieces.
Freeze these pieces and after 4 days thaw.
Then press the rhubarb and the juice is ready.

Now freeze the juice !!!!.
After 2 days get the frozen juice and cut off the top which has a
different color.
This top is pure acid !!!!!

Now measure the rest of the must again and the acidity has dropped
several points !!!!!

So no more diluting or chalking but we can work with the pure must again !!!

I added the nutrient, some energizer and the yeast this PM...got the primary bucket snuggled next to the fridge to get some heat that blows out from beside and under it....

I hope I didn't put too much pineapple juice in...but I always wanted to make a pineapple wine....
smiley4.gif

Good luck JW...I think it will be good.

That just sounds good NW. I too will eventually make something with
Pineapple in it or even try it alone. Never checked for a recipe for it
yet but Im sure there are some out there or even on this site under
recipes. Ill look later and see how much is needed.

Looks like a good idea Jobe, with plenty to freeze until whenever, I may try that someday...or just throw in a Rolaids
smiley36.gif
Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

wade said:
That just sounds good NW. I too will eventually make something with Pineapple in it or even try it alone. Never checked for a recipe for it yet but Im sure there are some out there or even on this site under recipes. Ill look later and see how much is needed.

Back when,I did make just a pineapple wine, used the recipe from the little purple winemakers recipe handbook. Came out real good, but I must say it took a lot to degas it.

hey JW i always thought you would crush up or mash the rhubarb, it looks like you have just put them in as they were in cut up pieces?? can u fill me in!!

thanks

Trig

Trig, they were cut up and then frozen, allowed to thaw in the sugar pineapple mixture, which should extract the juice from the rhubarb. Checking the must before pitching the yeast, I would say the method actually worked very well. After primary fermentation, im sure I will be able to squeeze even more juice from the rhubarb.Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

Ya'll are really making me want to make a batch of that...Looking good !! Do any of you add raisins?

I thought of doing that Waldo to add some body. Ive had mixed results adding raisins, so I left it out...this time. See what I get and keep it in mind as there is plenty of Rhubarb around here if another batch is desired.
I have Raspberry and Strawberry in line next, just trying to decide on a recipe for those two.

Back