REVIEW: *Whole House Wine Filtering*

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if you get a little blast of air - it will not cause the wine to get oxidized that fast - just my personal opinion

I hope you're right Steve.

Actually I was using an external hose clamp as a jury rig way of throttling the flow toward the end. It worked okay on the white but got away from me on the red. Poor choice of equipment on my part. I will change this before doing this again.

Sudz
How are you releasing the vacuum pressure while nearing the end of a transfer ?

At this point I'm slowly releasing the carboy stopper. Not ideal for sure. My vacuum pump is adjustable but while playing around it does appear a valve which you can change quickly would be preferred.

I'm planning on adding a vacuum bleed valve. However, I do think it's more important to throttle back the wine flow since the vacuum in the carboy will be slow to change even with a bleed valve of some sort. At least when going through my "wet" run it did appear managing the wine flow was the most significant influence on controlling the air intrusion from the draining filter.

Admittedly, I have more learning curve in front of me if I'm to get this process under control.

The bleed valve that comes with the All In One Wine Pump releases the vacuum quickly and it works great!

I don't use a cane all the way down to the bottom when I vacuum transfer/filter. So any air that gets in is just evacuated out the top. It doesn't bubble through the wine.

An easy way to do it is to put a bypass on the overflow tank. Any simple ball valve will work. It will dump all the vacuum and the flow will stop instantly.

wine_vac93.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogpRCmJOD2g&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Last edited:
Just made my first attempt at filtering and it didn't go too well. I have the 158116 housing and was attempting to use a PD-1-934 filter. The housing has a circular "lip" on the bottom that prevented the filter from resting all the way down. As a result, I couldn't completely screw the lid on and couldn't get a vacuum going. I could have sworn I read on here that certain filters were troublesome, but can't find the thread. Any ideas?

Just made my first attempt at filtering and it didn't go too well. I have the 158116 housing and was attempting to use a PD-1-934 filter. The housing has a circular "lip" on the bottom that prevented the filter from resting all the way down. As a result, I couldn't completely screw the lid on and couldn't get a vacuum going. I could have sworn I read on here that certain filters were troublesome, but can't find the thread. Any ideas?

I also rember the post _ will look back and try and find it also. I did call filterfast and mentioned the same problem hoping for a different filter that had a softer top and bottom so it will seat better - but I got the runaround - if you have ever been there !!

Please PM me in a day or 2 - I just put in a call to a person that was dealing with the same issue and I believe they got the problem fixed

Last edited:
Do a eBay search fp11x50.

I s a 1 micron filter that has a soft top and bottom. I buy them in a box of 50 for around 63.00. If you can't find it left me know. I'll pull up my history and get the auction number.

EBay item number 120966410130

I've bought from him 3 times.

Last edited:
Do a eBay search fp11x50.

I s a 1 micron filter that has a soft top and bottom. I buy them in a box of 50 for around 63.00. If you can't find it left me know. I'll pull up my history and get the auction number.

EBay item number 120966410130

I've bought from him 3 times.

dralarms -
what filter housing are you using ?
Did you also have a similar problem as well ??

No, I bought my housing on eBay I think. I was not having a problem, I'm just a cheap bugger. Little more than 1.00 a filter, I can use one and pitch it and not get upset about it.

BoatBoy....

Read my post a couple of pages back. This was the same exact issue that I and several others have had with that particluar make and model of filter/housing.
We may have gotten a poor batch because others do not have this issue.
The problem with ours is that there is no way that the pentek filter, with it's hard plastic core will ever fit over, or in the round lip in the housing. They mate edge to edge, NOT over or inside like they should. Absolutely no way it will ever seal, hence why some have damaged their housing trying to tighten it up.
The only solution for me was to purchase different filters, ones that have a soft supple gasket on each end. Problem gone. Just be sure that you get a filter that isn't a carbon filter.

I also rember the post _ will look back and try and find it also. I did call filterfast and mentioned the same problem hoping for a different filter that had a softer top and bottom so it will seat better - but I got the runaround - if you have ever been there !!

Please PM me in a day or 2 - I just put in a call to a person that was dealing with the same issue and I believe they got the problem fixed

I posted this awhile back. Not sure if it's what your looking for.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f3/pentek-house-filter-woes-36541/

Thanks Norske for responding - i was relying on you and 1 other person that I PM last night looking for a good filter source that will fix this problem.
I personally think we have gotten a bad filter batch as Norske mentioned to me over the phone that there was a definite height difference between the filters

Thanks gang! Really appreciate the support.

Steve: will touch base tomorrow or Tuesday.

Norske: Where did u end up getting filters?

Thanks gang! Really appreciate the support.

Steve: will touch base tomorrow or Tuesday.

Norske: Where did u end up getting filters?

I have used filters from McMaster Carr from time to time - not to bad in price , but it could not beat filterfast prices. Boy am I glad I didn't sell the complete filtration system with the Allinone !! But I will try and help point you in the right direction though

Thanks for a very informative review. Clear and concise! Something I would like to get into in the future and now I have some excellent info.

I have used filters from McMaster Carr from time to time - not to bad in price ,

Steve,

Thanks for all your help on this! I placed an order with McMaster Carr yesterday, so we'll see what happens. I will post up my results when the filters arrive.

I really appreciate all the help on this - especially knowing you don't even sell the filtration systems. Yet another indication of the great customer support you provide!

Thanks!!!

Jim

EDIT: Wow! I got a shipping notification a little while ago, and lo and behold! The package is being delivered via UPS today!

Last edited:
I Have been working on the filter situation today - I came up to a very good conclusion. I have documented and took pics as well - I am on my phone and will Not get home till late.

Till then

Cool!

My package arrived from McMaster Carr today and I filtered my Sauvignon Blanc and peach wine. The process was painless, though I think I may have a few kinks to work through (just getting used to it all). I used a Pentech "P1", a 1 micron filter. It did not have the hard plastic ring in the center like the filter from FiltersFast and worked just fine. I'm pretty,eased with how clear these two wines now look.

Jim

Back