Residual Sugar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I may have answered my own question. On the hydrometer there is a reading for sugar. If something was 2% residual, would it just be back sweetened until it reads 2% on the hydrometer? Which would roughly be 1.005? Is this correct?

Correct Johnny, It means that the Yeast strain has either reached its
maximum abv or that it has been purposely ended sooner by cold
stabilization or pot-meta and sorbate to finish sweeter without back
sweetening. This is the purpose of weaker yeast strains like Red Star
Cotes Des Blanc And Lalvin RC 212.

Does Lalvin RC 212 leave residual sugar???? I thought it fermented dry...Gee...I was using it thinking it would give me dry wines...so far it has...?????
This is what the Lalvin WebSite says about it...

Bourgovin RC 212
Saccharomyces cerevisiae

Origin
The Bourgovin RC 212 strain was selected from fermentations produced in the Burgundy region by the Bureau interprofessionnel des vins de Bourgogne (BIVB). It was selected for its ability to ferment a traditional heavier-style Burgundian Pinot Noir.

Oenological properties and applications
The RC 212 is a low-foaming moderate-speed fermenter with an optimum fermentation temperature ranging from 20° to 30°C (68° to 86°F). A very low producer of hydrogen sulfide (H2S) and sulfur dioxide (SO2), the RC 212 shows good alcohol tolerance to 16%.

The RC 212 is recommended for red varieties where full extraction is desired. Lighter red varieties also benefit from the improved extraction while color stability is maintained throughout fermentation and aging. Aromas of ripe berry and fruit are emphasized while respecting pepper and spicy notes.

An excellent choice for both young & aged red wines.

Download Yeast Data Sheethttp://www.lalvinyeast.com/images/library/RC212_Yeast.pdf

So far I have found it to be heavy foamer and has produced dry fruit wines that I wanted....maybe I have just been lucky.
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Northern Winos said:
Does Lalvin RC 212 leave residual sugar???? I thought it fermented dry...Gee...I was using it thinking it would give me dry wines...so far it has...?????
I believe that any yeast will leave residual sugars NW if your beginning SG is high enough that there will be sugars left after the yeast has reached its potential and the alcohol then kills the yeast.

Waldo is right. The two yeast strains I spoke of are the lower abv ones
out there, maybe not the lowest of strains but the most common. Any
yeast will go to dry if the initial Sg is within its reach. These two
strains are not what you would choose to try and restart a stuck
fermentation.

Residual sugar concentration is the measure of the amount of sugar solids that remain in the wine following fermentation. In a wine that is finished dry, the residual sugars are generally non-fermentable sugars. In off-dry or dessert wines the residual sugar can be the sugar that remains when the yeast is killed off because of the high level of alcohol or the sugar the wine maker has added to back-sweeten.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

The amount of residual sugar is often used to determine the category in which a wine would be entered in competition. The following is rule #9 for the WineMaker Magazine wine competition: For sparkling wine categories, dry/semi-dry is defined as &gt;3% residual sugar and sweet as &gt;3% residual sugar.

Residual sugar concentration is expressed in grams per liter or as a percentage of weight to volume. A wine with 2% residual sugar contains 20 grams of sugar in one liter of wine and the sweetness would be noticible. Most dry wines are 0.4% or less (4 grams per liter).

A hydrometer cannot be used to determine the amount of residual sugar in a wine. To determine the approximate amount of residual sugar in the wine a test can be performed using a Clinitest kit. These kits were initially designed for diabetics to test sugar in urine. The test should be performed before any sugar additions are made, as it will not detect the presence of sucrose (cane or beet sugar). Also, the presence of ascorbic acid will affect the test.

Back