WineXpert Reisling temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainl

Reaction score
Quick question. We australian traminer reisling. This kit is for my pergnant wife....due december 6. My first white wine....directions say to ferment 72 to 75 using ec 1118. My options are either 77 ambient or 65 ambient. I know ec1118 has a much wider range for temps. And cooler is usually better for flavor on white wines. Would you guys say it's safe at 65 ambient. I could move it to 77 towards the end of fermentation to help it finish up. Opinions...

I would just go for the 77 ambient. Kits are not the same as fermenting fresh pressed juice.

Where in the heck do you find a controlled 65 degree temp in Houston, in the Summer!?!?

Haaa. I made a temp controlled wine cellar (if u can call it that) in the corner of my garage....works great for fermenting ales,aging wine, and cooling off after cutting the grass. Shoot now I'm more confused on what to do....

If you do it at 65, it will ferment out, it will just take ~two weeks more than likely and you will have to baby sit it that much longer to make sure things are progressing and not stuck. I honestly don't think you will taste a difference if you ferment at 65 or 77 (for a kit wine). Toss it in the wine cooler and keep a close eye on it if you really want to try a cooler temp ferment.

Thank for the advice. I'll pull it out tomorrow and put it at 77. I guess I'm over thinking the kits.

Latest posts

Back