Refractrometer vs. Hydrometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YourCaptain

Reaction score
Which is better?
They both essentially do the same thing right? Or have I had too much wine?

I am really confused... :slp

Do you have any preference?

Help out the newbie

YourCaptain said:
Which is better?
They both essentially do the same thing right? Or have I had too much wine?

I am really confused... :slp

Do you have any preference?

Help out the newbie

Refractometer is good when you are buying fresh fruit and want to check the sugar without having to juice a bunch.

If you are buying fruit regardless of sugar, you can get away with a hydrometer.

A direct refractometer reading is only accurate when there is no alcohol in the wine. Alcohol distorts the reading. During fermentation, it will not give a reading much lower than 1.020. However, as long as an initial reading was taken and recorded before fermentation started (no alcohol present), there is a special conversion algorithm one can use to convert its reading to a true, accurate SG.

So, once fermentation begins, a hydrometer works very well.

The nice thing about a refractometer for pre-fermented fruit is it can give you an accurate reading without having to pre-filter the juice to remove all the larger grape matter.

So, if you do fresh/frozen grape wines and not just kits, I recommend having both a refractometer and a hydrometer. If you only do kits, a refractometer is not a benefit.

I prefer to use the refractometer and a conversion chart to monitor my fermentations. When I stir the must each day, I just put a drop or two on my refractometer, read it, and then use the conversion chart to get an actual true reading.

Too many clever people in on this forum... LOVE IT! :try

Thanks for the clarification.

I do my wines from fresh fruit. Kit's are not readily available in South Africa (to my knowledge).

Where can I get my hands on a conversion chart?

:)

Hi Captain,

Here is a link to the spreedsheet I use. Just scroll down until you see refractomerter spreedsheet. I just set the original brix to 22, and then each half a point lower, (21.5,21,20.5, etc.) and then printed out the charts. They hang on a clipboard for fast and easy reference.

Just scroll down about 2/3rds of the way and you will see it.
http://morewinemaking.com/content/winemanuals

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back