• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Refractometer - today only

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I paid $29.00 for mine at this same place over Christmas. They ran awesome Tuesday specials everyweek for like the last 8 weeks of the year before xmas.

U just volunteered to ck every Tuesday for their special.

Ok, somebody school me. What's the benefit of a refractometer over a hydrometer?

I am clueless on this tool.

Ok, somebody school me. What's the benefit of a refractometer over a hydrometer?

I am clueless on this tool.

ROFLMAO...don't you know? ha ha mine is still in the box. Me either but I didn't want to pass it up for the price. Darren I believe the real purpose is to test for sugar in fruits to ensure you are picking it in its prime.:a1

Ok, tyere are a few things that make it better.
1) The fact that you only need a drop or 2 to test brix
2) Most can be used at boiling temps which if you make beer needs to be done so you know when your wort is ready.
3) The main thing is for being out in the field as you can just grab a grape off the vine. squeeze a drop or 2 and know if your fruit is ready to pick or leave it on longer.
The Con
1) is not accurate once alcohol is present as it works on the light being bent and once alc is present light is bent differently making the reading wrong.

Yes it is innacurate with a direct reading once alcohol is present, but there are conversion tables that give the correct reading for different levels.

I find it indispenible from veraison on during the grape growing season. You need to be able to squeeze a drop or two of juice to use it, but it is quick easy and accurate. A lot easier to test a single grape than to pick a couple clusters, and try to squeeze all the juice out for a single test.

I don't either,

Thru the teeth over the gums watch out stomach here it comes.

Yep, Never "touched the stuff"

Latest posts

Back