Red grape concentrate substitute

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Dutch

Junior
Reaction score
Can I substitute the red grape concentrate in this recipe with black currants and raisins?
Ditch the acid blend and just use malic and tartaric acid to get to target TA.
Assuming the black currants will provide enough citric acid.

Plum wine 1 gallon
2.2kg Plums
0.7kg Nectarines
0.57kg sugar
0.34kg red grape concentrate
Water to 1 gallon
1.5tsp acid blend?
1tsp pectin enzyme
1 crushed campden tablet
0.75tsp yeast nutrient
0.25tsp yeast energizer
0.125tsp grape tannin
Lalvin 71B

I read this as 3.2kg of fruit per gallon. ie * Yes you could skip the red grape. On my part I like color so I be adding adding .32 kg of black raspberry or aronia or black currant as a natural pigment source.
* Raisins I add for nutrients, it helps but the chemical or organic nitrogen work better.
* You could add any food grade acid. The function in the primary is to push the pH to 3.2 to 3.4. pH acts like a preservative. You could ignore TA since other than taste it has no function, and you could taste it to adjust the taste.
* There is pectic enzyme, if you want crystal clear wine I would triple it, but that is cosmetic cloudy wine tastes OK.
* tannin is very important it builds long flavor notes and adds shelf life.

I read this as 3.2kg of fruit per gallon. ie * Yes you could skip the red grape. On my part I like color so I be adding adding .32 kg of black raspberry or aronia or black currant as a natural pigment source.
* Raisins I add for nutrients, it helps but the chemical or organic nitrogen work better.
* You could add any food grade acid. The function in the primary is to push the pH to 3.2 to 3.4. pH acts like a preservative. You could ignore TA since other than taste it has no function, and you could taste it to adjust the taste.
* There is pectic enzyme, if you want crystal clear wine I would triple it, but that is cosmetic cloudy wine tastes OK.
* tannin is very important it builds long flavor notes and adds shelf life.
I’m known to overthink things. Thanks for your reply. Just for you to read it as 3.2kgs fruit makes perfect sense thank you. Onwards and upwards

Latest posts

Back