Other Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broge5

Reaction score
Want to see if I can get some recommendations on the following. My wife and I have a few kits on deck but are wanting to start planning for these. We are in Dallas, so CC, RJS, & MM from George are most convenient, but we will consider ordering WE etc, if we get good enough recommendations. So what are your favorite recommendations for these 4 kits:
Merlot,
Rioja,
Pinot Noir,
Tempranillo (we recently bottled a CC Sterling w/ grape pack, but as I added ALOT of water per directions for the Italian carboy, we will give it time, but we do not expect too much from it.

I am tending to stick to varietals as opposed to blends right now to get a good feel for the taste of each. Please recommend away!!!!

Last edited:
I accidentally listed merlot 2x. I meant to put a Pinot Noir on the list. I ordered a WE Oregon Pinot LE, but it will not be here until March.

edited the original post,but can't figure out how to delete this one.

Last edited:
Broge, if you want to delete a message, choose "Edit." A box will be formed around the posting and there will be four buttons in the lower right corner. One is "Delete." Choose Delete and you will get a confirmation where you will verify that you intend to delete.

Thanks rocky, but the iPhone app does not appear to work the same. Hmmmm

I don't know if you can still preorder one, but the December Kenridge Showcase LE kit is a Spanish Tempranillo/Garnacha blend. Those are the dominant grapes in a Rioja wine. I personally think Tempranillo does better in a blend, anyway. I'm sure there will be extras after it's released this month. The kit does not come with grape skins, though.

I would consider the British Columbia meritage (a blend of cab a, cab franc, and Merlot) and the Washington state merlot both rj spangols cellar craft with skins pack and both were in the recent top 100 wine kits list in winemaker mag. Georgecarries both these. I just bought both from fine vine wines so haven't tasted them but there have been many comments made on both of these choices.
I'm a new wine maker since feb of 2013. My favorite finished wine so far are the super Tuscan and last years ken ridge grand cab-still bulking aging. And of course the toasted caramel port kit from2012 we started in March and feel it rivals many ports from the wineries around us!
Have fun!
Enjoy!

Southern Chemist,
I really like the looks of the Ken Ridge Tempranilllo/Garnacha. I can probably still get one from George. The only reason I have not is because it does not have the grape pack. Though I do not have any wines ready to drink yet, the advice on the forum has led me to gravitate mainly to the premium kits with grape packs. I did order a KR Calif Grand Red II.

I have seen Spanish Tempranillo such as WE with grape pack, and I missed out on the CC Showcase Spanish Temp - mostly due to my very first kit being a CC Sterling Tempranillo w/ gp that I did hoping for an early drinker. However the only Riojas I see do not seem to have gp.

Though I am very tempted at this kit. I'm guessing the KR may be a little better than the WE Selection Rioja. Am I making too big a deal of the grape packs? I have to think all you guys were making great wines for years with no grape packs at all.

Knockabout,
I had a meritage last night that I liked, and the Washington State Merlots have caught my attention.

Everyone please keep the recommendations coming. I also value input on the ones you would k=not care to do again.

Broge: I was feeling the same way as you about the Temp/Garnacha. After thinking about it, and a few posts here, I came to the conclusion that they would not release a limited edition kit that was substandard. I ended up ordering one, and it should be here in a few days.

Broge5 said:
Southern Chemist, I really like the looks of the Ken Ridge Tempranilllo/Garnacha. I can probably still get one from George. The only reason I have not is because it does not have the grape pack. Though I do not have any wines ready to drink yet, the advice on the forum has led me to gravitate mainly to the premium kits with grape packs. I did order a KR Calif Grand Red II. I have seen Spanish Tempranillo such as WE with grape pack, and I missed out on the CC Showcase Spanish Temp - mostly due to my very first kit being a CC Sterling Tempranillo w/ gp that I did hoping for an early drinker. However the only Riojas I see do not seem to have gp. Though I am very tempted at this kit. I'm guessing the KR may be a little better than the WE Selection Rioja. Am I making too big a deal of the grape packs? .

I understand the reservations. Usually, though, the LE kits are pretty high standard products to begin with. The other thing is that the wine style might not really benefit too much from it. Looks like the wine is intended to be more medium bodied like many Rioja wines can be. I do think generally grape skins are better, but sometimes I think it's possible we take it a tad too far and unintentionally think all kits without a grape skin pack are inferior. I think the kit is sourced from La Mancha, which is also nice. I know there have been similar LE kits in the past that did not have grape packs, and people had positive things to say.

Oh, and I think that British Columbia Meritage used to be a LE kit. It's one of the only Cru Select kits that come with the dried grape skins.

Well southern chemist and boat boy, you guys made some good points and convinced me that the LE Tempranillo/Garnache is worth ago. I'll check with George and see if I can still get one.

Knockabout, elderberries? Nice... I just may put that BC Meritage on my list as well.

Think I'll start with the LE kit, as it is an LE kit for dec.

Still hoping for some Pinot Noir recommendations from those who have tried them.

I've made the Winexprt SI New Zealand Pinot Noir. It's a little more fruit forward for a Pinot with the oak more in the finish. It also seemed to take a good 1-2 years to really show itself. There is an Australian Pinot Noir in the Winery Series line that I saw recently. It actually has grape skins, which isn't something you typically see for a Pinot.

Still hoping for some Pinot Noir recommendations from those who have tried them.

I have an En Primeur Pinot Noir in one of my Vadai barrels now. It'll come out in about three or four weeks. I'm VERY pleased with it so far.

The RJS WInery Series Tempranillo Cabernet, IMO, is superb. One of the best kits I have made.

Hmmmm... Good to hear that you guys are both happy with both the New Zealand Pinot Noir's.
I wonder how they compare?
WE, I believe is a 16 L kit w/ gp which is unusual
EP , I believe is an 18 L kit w/ no gp
Both look interesting.

I also see that the Meglioli has a USA Pinot Noir - 23 L w/ gp. But with a huge price premium and somewhat little support for Mosti reds here on the forum, I'm a little apprehensive of this one. However, most of what I see complaints about is lack of body and being thin. This may just be what a Pinot Noir calls for.... Would sure like to hear from someone who has aged one of these for a little while.

Hmmmm... Good to hear that you guys are both happy with both the New Zealand Pinot Noir's.
I wonder how they compare?
WE, I believe is a 16 L kit w/ gp which is unusual
EP , I believe is an 18 L kit w/ no gp
Both look interesting.

I also see that the Meglioli has a USA Pinot Noir - 23 L w/ gp. But with a huge price premium and somewhat little support for Mosti reds here on the forum, I'm a little apprehensive of this one. However, most of what I see complaints about is lack of body and being thin. This may just be what a Pinot Noir calls for.... Would sure like to hear from someone who has aged one of these for a little while.

WE does not make Pinot Noir kits with grape skins. In fact, their Eclipse Sonoma Pinot is the only red in the line without grape skins. An argument can be made that a wine like Pinot Noir would not need grape skins versus something like a Cabernet or Syrah. The EP kits are of very high quality, so even though I haven't made their Pinot before, I am sure it makes a good wine.

The Meglioli kits can make great wine, but it seems that you really need to give them time (some would say up to 3 years or more). Keep in mind that those '23L' kits are pretty much just juice/concentrate that has been reconstituted for you. It's not automatically a superior product, though I think the manufacturer would like you to think it is. Are those kits worth the price you pay? I think generally no.

Southern chemist, that is correct I miss read your post you had mentioned a wine expert Pinot Noir but then later referred to a winery series that had gp

Broge5 said:
Southern chemist, that is correct I miss read your post you had mentioned a wine expert Pinot Noir but then later referred to a winery series that had gp

I'm sure the Winery Series kit is good too if it's anything like the other Winery Series kits.

Back