Other recommendations for a Voignier?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corinth

Reaction score
I had asked for some feedback on a good med-range kit for Chardonnay and "vognier" peaked:br my interest also. Okay, so I end up buying a Vognier mid-range kit also.
Any suggestions ?
I am currently looking up (shipping costs ) for the Chardonnay to make a decision about that one.
Any Bites!
Corinth

I haven't made it, but Cellar Craft Showcase has one that I eyed for a while. I ended up doing a Chilean juice bucket though. If you have access to Chilean juice, it may be worth considering; but I don't think you can go wrong with most of the CC Showcase wines.

Currently aging a WE viognier selection, it smells amazing! I used 71b1122 yeast.

I made the CC Showcase Viognier several years ago and it actually won a blind taste test against 3 other commercial Viognier's. That is not a mid range kit by any means really.

I've made two batches of WE Viognier and three Aussie Chardonnay. They are fantastic wines. The Viognier has delightful melon favors early on (6 months) then mellows out to a well bodied white. The chard just delivers, again after six months. I'm sure I've got cellar tongue but these are some of the best wines I've had.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f84/recommendations-voignier-48294/#post547177

Wow,
Keep those recommendations coming:db
The only down side is deciding which to go with by setting a financial priority and listening to your feedback and sadly, seeing who has the best deal.
fine wines give a pretty good discount!
Corinth

Love the Williams Viognier that I made last year.

One of the best I have tasted.

Only a 5 gallon kit, but it really came out nice. A dark golden but crystal clear wine. Oh yea...low dollar as well.

We made the WE Vintner's Reserve Viognier about 9 months ago. We've been very pleased with it. The reason we bought the VR version instead of the Select is that we ran across this review of the WE Select Viognier on an online site.

"This is one of our favorites. It is a medium body with great flavor and the longer it sits, the better it gets. The only reason I gave price a 4 is that the vintner version is as good for less money."

I have never tried the Select version so I don't know if this guy was right or not.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

recommendations-voignier-

You folks are making my mouth water(and it not even wonderful Gelato and my wallet ache..but I love it.
Keep those cards and letters coming!
Regards,
Corinth

I will add my name to those who have made the CC Showcase Viognier and loved it! It is a fantastic white, but again, I wouldn't consider it a "mid-range" kit...

As I have posted elsewhere, I, too, have done a WE Selection Cali. Viognier. I used D47 yeast, but no other tweaks. Too young (3 mos.) to give you any feedback!

I've done the MM Renaissance twice. It tastes good early, however goes thru a funky stage only to turn into a nice wine after 12-14 months. Nice honey and spice flavors.

Whew!!!!!
You are all giving me excellent advice :bras I look up each kit and do a Google search, shipping, reviews, cut and paste websites with pictures which won which awards...

Was the cellar craft showcase collection the Yakima Viognier?
I think I am going to be busy:d but I really do appreciate your efforts. My gift cards are eating a hole in my pcoket and I get this ringing in my ears that says"Ching, Ching!"

Oh yeah. and Seth, nothing like thinking outside the box.
HMmmmm? Frozen Huh? Ok. From where and how much?

Thanks you all with great appreciation!!!!!
Corinth:br

Try M&M grape, not sure on the cost, but the voigner gewurtz blenD I am making from their juice that they sourced from Washington seems promising

/recommendations-voignier

Hi Seth!
I just looked them up...most fascinating.
San Pedro just closed up shop until spring...I can drive there but I thank you for the tip.Never can tell. When I heard M & M, the only thing that came to mind was the candy my father munched on in the Pacific....does not melt on your rifle!
Connecticut?
Oy Vay!

I just looked up the showcase one that a lot of people are talking about. Pretty impressive but just out of my reach because(see below).

Just for the record. talking about blends:
I just looked at Wine makers toy store and they have an Argentinian trio: Viognier, Chardonnay and Riesling on special right now--wine of the month. It seems to have won a few competitions.

(this below)They also have the much heralded Super Tuscan on sale as wine of the month and if you register for their newsletter, you can another 10 bucks off and if its your birthday , you get another 10 bucks off---not bad! I am going to buy the kit with some of my Gift cards and another kit when I decide on which Viognier to buy

Regards Seth!
Corinth!

Last edited:
They also ship ( thats how I got my juice all the way to TN), at the very least it is food for thought. If I was on the westcoast like you, I would be in hog heaven since shipping would be sooo much cheaper for me.. Plus, its not soo long of a drive for you to go to a vinyard and actually get some fresh must or juice. Of course, the fresh stuff is not in season right now, so that does not help you out at this moment.

HI Seth,
You are right. My local winery is now semi-closed until spring when they will be in full swing with fresh grapes and fresh juice.

Believe it or not, shipping is not that cheap even so close all those fields
and the drive of moderate length is no longer an option for me.

But if I feel froggy---I will M & M a try!
Thanks Seth!
Corinth

Latest posts

Back