Really messed up- can a high SG at start be saved?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swediepie

Reaction score
I had a brain cramp this afternoon and added 4lbs of granulated sugar to my one gallon recipe for Dandelion Wine, instead of 2lbs. Duh.

I had a starting SG of 1.16. Figuring that there wasn't much I could do except go for it and fly by the seat of my pants, I pitched the yeast (Red Star Champagne Yeast in the yellow packet.) Can this handle the sugar, or should I add another type of yeast at some point?

I'm not overly concerned about any of it, and I love a good experiment. :p

Now that I think of it, I realize I could have probably divided the batch, thinned it out, whatever- it's all hindsight.

Run out and pick some more dandelions before it gets dark and mix up another gallon of must and dont add sugar and dilute what you have with the new dandelion. Did you add any nutrients? WVMJ

I wanted to recommend the same thing then I remembered the time I tried to do dandelion wine and the week of picking and only having enough for a gallon and a half. That is what I would attempt though as well.

Just let the fermentation run to the end. Adding a tsp. of Fermax might get the end SG down to near 1.000. It will most likely turn out on the semi-sweet side, but that's not necessarily a bad thing in dandelion wine.

You can just start another batch of dandelion wine. Take your time, get some more pedals, make it a weak batch. When both are finished, blend em. Mite try em 25/50, 50/50, etc. See how you like em. Arne.

Back