Re-using wine kit oak cubes ... Any benefits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mforney12

Reaction score
Question is as I go thru wine kits ... Save or dispose the oak cubes? I know they lose oak-I-ness after a few weeks in the wine ... But do they add anything else if already used? I.e. Improved mouthfeel, etc?

Is there any benefit or harm in adding them in addition to a new kits oak? Or adding them to a true grape wine? Anyone ever experimented?

I will put them al in a container of vodka and you will be surprised how it will taste in about 5 weeks !!

You can also retoast them slightly and mix with a neutral spirit to make whiskey. Let it sit a Year and it's really very good. Ive done that with some different smoker chips and will be doing it with thse nice wine soaked remnants as well.

Cheers!
-jonathan

You can also retoast them slightly and mix with a neutral spirit to make whiskey. Let it sit a Year and it's really very good. Ive done that with some different smoker chips and will be doing it with thse nice wine soaked remnants as well.

Cheers!
-jonathan

That is really interesting...smoker chips. I was looking at a bag of cherry wood chips the other day....I used cherry wood in one of my reds and liked it, but it was a small expensive spiral...those chips were pretty cheap...so am I.:h

Latest posts

Back