Re-Using Grape Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simpsini

Reaction score
I made a WE Eclipse Merlot with grape skins recently and after the primary I put the skins in a plastic bag and froze them. I going to start a Pinot Noir and thought about adding the THAWED out bag of Merlot skins to the primary. Has anyone done this kind of thing before?

Dave

Yes! I've done it twice (several different RJS kits) and I've read here on the forum that others have also done the same. I've also read folks here opining along the lines that it is a waste of time because all the good stuff has been used up with the first fermentation. I'll use my skins again in a lower end kit. I believe that there is still some good stuff left in the skins, enough to justify using them a second time. Can I prove it? Nope.

Thanks Bkisel .... I'm going to use them in the Pinot Noir. ... I appreciate your input. Check six

Thanks Bkisel .... I'm going to use them in the Pinot Noir. ... I appreciate your input. Check six

The F-4, trying to remember from my Marine Corps days, would be a tough bird from which to check you own six. I think difficult for both the Pilot and the RIO. I don't even recall a cockpit mirror.

Bill

In the F-4 tt took a bit of effort to check six, but if you loosened all your straps you could turn around and look behind you to direct the fight. You were in big trouble if you had to punch because you weren't going to be in the correct position to survivie the ejection, but you take your chances and try to be the best.... I put the grape skins in & the wine is really cooking. I had a high SG 1.092 so this should be a good batch.

Latest posts

Back