Re-Usable Canning Lids - update

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pioneergirl

Reaction score
Took the summer off, now I am back! I either can't find the food preservation topic or it's been deleted. BUT, I wanted to let anyone who was interested know that the Tattler Reusable canning lids have some good deals. I ordered the "trial pack" which inlcudes a 15% discount and free shipping - includes 3 doz. each of wide mouth and regular mouth seals/gaskets and lids (not the bands though) for $49. They supposedly last for years and some cases decades if cared for properly.

This will be the first time trying these and I am really excited to can this year with these reusable lids. The lids are also BPA free which is important to me raising 3 boys. Don't need to add extra estrogenic items to the food they consume when even regular canning lids, cans and other plastics lined with BPA release these "fake hormones" when heated. Scary! Also why I jar alot, but I am by no means perfect; just do the best I can.

I imagine for someone who does alot of canning, reuseable lids are a huge advantage. Hope they work out for ya!

they are getting to be 3.00 a pkg so I will have to go look.

checked them out they are not cost effective. you can can for a whole year almost for what they want for 2 dozen.

I definitely won't be gifting these jars/lids away. Again, they are meant for many years (even decades) of use, not just single use and I understand that products made in the USA are more expensive to begin with. I definitely don't have the funds to purchase enough for how much I do can; just starting out small to see how they work and build from there if I like them.

I just wanted to share the info. For me personally, I am trying to "re" pioneer and "re" foster a belief of reusing as many things as possible and, where I can, control the chemicals/additives that my family is exposed to. It's all baby steps, but they all add up.

am trying to "re" pioneer and "re" foster a belief of reusing as many things as possible and, where I can, control the chemicals/additives that my family is exposed to

I am with you here. I grow and can or freeze all our veggies except asparagus which I just put out 10 roots this year.

I received my mixed order of lids and have already put them to good use. Upon further investigation, these lids pay for themselves at their fifth (5th) use. They are thick, durable plastic and do not bend or flex at all. The rubber gasket also appears sturdy and durable and meant to last many years (they do sell replacement gaskets cheaply if /when you need them ). Also, when using, you must tighten then back off about a quarter to a half inch otherwise they wont vent properly. And upon removing the jars you must immediately tighten to assist sealing. Easy. You have to take care when prying open to no cut or nick gasket. I am sold. I will likely use some of these lids upto three times this season alone with the way my boys eat. I can/preserve to save freezer space for game meat which feeds us for the year. Also, I like not having to think about busting the lids at the store and I always forget them! I need to order more for the amount that I can/ preserve, but will have to spread it out due to cost or put on my gift list. I am now going to try and post pics.

image-1237541465.jpg

image-2675822411.jpg

image-1336380590.jpg

Viola. I also odd some tomatoes and pickles not picture. But success with both pressure canning and water bath. Just wanted to pass on the info.

P.s just love the auto correct feature on this iPad. I don't bust the lids, I buy them. And I also canned tomatoes and pickles. Don't know how the word " odd" got on there. Lol.

36 for 49 dollars. I get 12 tops for 2.20 thats 6.60

49/6.60=7.5 years to break even.

Last edited:
Actually, I got 72 lids and gaskets for $50 total (actually $49 if you want get precise ) I am not going to do the exact math. But according to your figures I'd double the quantity which should half the payback according to your calculations right? So actually payback is less than five years if you use only one time a year. I likely will reuse each lid 2-3 times, therefore lessening this figure! How exciting for me. Thanks for doing the math. I actually just got figure off of you tube reviews. I appreciate it!

I knew an old timer and he always put all his wine in canning jars ! I talked to him about and he loved it as the jars always came back and he put them in the dishwaser to clean and santize.
I liked it because it was different !!

Dont get me wrong I want them but that is to much. I can 200 to 300 qt and pts a year. I do think they will be good for sauerkraut and stuff like that.

Latest posts

Back