Re-Bottling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
OK, another of my hair-brained newbie questions here.
smiley36.gif
Can you re-bottle wine? Lets say it has been in the bottle about 6 months. I have a kit that is still a little gassy and has quite a bit of sediment in it.
smiley19.gif
It is a white wine and while it is quite tasty, it is visually unappealing particularly when the sediment sticks to the side ofthe bottle like a mucous secretion.
smiley5.gif
It is the first kit I ever bottled and I didn't do a very good job. Could I filter this wine and re-bottle it or just live and learn from it?
smiley18.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

You can re-bottle it if you really want to. I would add 1/4 tsp. of K-Meta per 6 gallons to be on the safe side. Pour your wine into a glass carboy, top off and let sit for several weeks (with the K-meta). When it is clear, bottle as normal.

You could always just decant the wine for 1 hour prior to drinking.

smurfe,

Yes you can. You can also check for degassing very easy. Open a bottle, stick the cork back into the bottle. Shake the crap out of, pull the cork, if it pops like a beer, you have gas.

Hal

Thanks for the info. What I really want to know is if I can open the bottles, filter the wine and then bottle it right back up.

I really think filtering would eliminate the little bit of gas left in it. There are just some bubbles around the glass, there is no "pop" when I uncork.

I guess I could buy a 3 or 5 gallon carboy to put it in if it needed to sit for a while. I have drank quite a few bottles of it. I will probably just leave it as is and learn from it and just make another similar kit.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Yes you can pour out the wine, filter and re bottle but I would add some more K-meta as George suggested just to be safe since you will be aerating your wine with this operation. Edited by: masta

Latest posts

Back