Raw Sugar/ Demerara Florida Crystals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
Is anybody familiar with this? Can it be used in place of regular sugar for wine making?
It does not seem as sweet as regular sugar.

I bought it a couple of weeks ago and used it in some apple cider. I made a simple syrup of 1 cup water and 3 cups of sugar. It was awesome tasting. It fermented dry in just a few days and was plenty sweet. I think my starting SG was 1.09 which was all i wanted for the cider.
I also used some of it yesterday to sweeten a white wine kit that was on the light side.

We were looking for raw sugar for the Apple Moonshine recipe posted elsewhere on the forum. Will have more than we need so was wondering about using it for regular wine.
Lori did you find it was not as sweet as cane sugar?

We were looking for raw sugar for the Apple Moonshine recipe posted elsewhere on the forum. Will have more than we need so was wondering about using it for regular wine.
Lori did you find it was not as sweet as cane sugar?

No, I found it to be easily as sweet. Similar to brown sugar. When dissolved and made into syrup, it was a little nutty and almost caramel flavored. Which usually requires butter and vanilla.
I'm in love with it.

Back