RASPBERRY WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
21 February 2008 at 10:44pm: Day 31<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Racked and topped off tonight.
20080221_223807_Img_2278.jpg

I had a total of about an eighth of an inch of sediment after 13 days since the last rack.
Bear in mind that I've added no clearing agents here.

20080221_224326_Img_2282.jpg

This sludge has settled out naturally due in large to the physics of gravity over time.
I personally don't believe in adding clearing agents to accomplish what patience will accomplish.

20080221_225606_Img_2286.jpg

I certainly can't complaign about a glass of wine like this and especially with at least 2 more rackings to go before bottling.

Right?

20080221_224852_Img_2284.jpg

I then siphoned off about 3/4 of a gallon of the wine to a smaller carboy and then using the Oyster Steamer shown here,

20080221_230154_Img_2285.jpg
I steamed down the three zip lock bags of Raspberries to 3 cups of pure raspberry juice.

The process, while a bit more dificult than with other steamers, was uneventful.
However. If you're going to try this yourself, be very careful not to scald yourself while draining the juice basin.

Whileallowing the juice to cool I added my Potassium Sorbate stabilizer, then I addedthe juicedirectly to the larger carboy.After that, I mixed 6 cups of sugar, one cup at a time, with the wine in the smaller carboy and added that to the larger carboy till I reached my desired stopping point.

My end result, tasting each time I addeda cup ofsugar, was:

s.g. reads 1.010
Brix 2.5

That’s my stopping point for this run. Bear in mind that my last Blackberry was a 1.005 and I felt a need to sweeten a bit more for my taste.

I've air lockedthe Raspberry nowand put it into storage for another month then a rack and maybe one more month and rack before going into bottles.

My next project will be an appricott wine. Look for it.

wellnow my fine wino friend may be in 6mos. you can send me a tasteing,looks very good and you know i like rass!!!!!

Hey Folks:
I don't recomend this steamer for this particular job. It's cumbersom, slow and down right dangerous as per its high probability ofscalding when used in this manner.
I do however, highly recomend and endorse the steaming method as a good way to extract fruit juices to enhance your fruitwines aroma and flavor.
Just get a good one designed with this type application in mind.

Hey, where the heck you been pk. We haven't seen you around these parts in nigh on to a long spell! What's been up and what ya got a perkin there?

Hey Folks:

Just a short follow up on the progress.

It's now been one week since my last rack, stabilizing, juice addition andbacksweetening.
During this period, despite the fact that I forgot once again (dawgonit), to add the all important clearing agent, my wine, clear as a bell now,has settled out with a nice 1/8" of sediment on the bottom that in another week or two, I'll rack out again.

Happy Wining Folks!

If there is only 1/8" sediment why rack it in such a short time span, give it a little more time and it could possibly be your last racking. Each time you rack it you add more O2.
Edited by: wade

Wade is correct. With no more than that, I would leave it alone. Let whats there compact more, less chance of it being stirred back into suspension when you do rack again

Thanks Guys.

The more bottles you put in the cellar the easier it becomes to be patient but I still get ancious about this with every carboy.

That was my original plan anyway. 4 weeks. Guess I'll just stick to it huh.

Gonna try to find time this weekend to start my Appricott. New house, new puppiesand work, not to mention my sweetie,wear a man out.
smiley2.gif

Happy wining all.

yes the trials that life brings to us all,kinnnd aaa getttstss tooo yooou,and then theres the wine got to keep on handyman it will be over soon //////////until the next carboy///your jp

29 March 2008 at 04:04pm: Day 69<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I racked the carboy today and I’m glad I took the time. As I thought and expected, there was a small amount of sediment in the carboy but after the rack it was crystal clear.
20080329_153814_Raspberry_2008-.gif

I bottled 30, 750 ml bottles and 1 glass of the finest tasting Raspberry wine I’ve ever tasted (sorry Joe, modesty is not one of my strong traits).
The final sg on this batch is 1.010 and the sweetness, in my personal opinion,is just bordering on too much.
My Acid test registered 2.7cc SO2
0.675% Tartaric Acid
4.32ppt Sulfuric
Now that it’s bottled, it’s 10 days on its bottom, corks up to let the cork settle into the bottle and then on it’s side for another 6 or 7 months cellaring.

Notes on acid test.
I use the Crosby Baker LTD WINE ACID TEST KIT that I bought for $19.00.
Following the directions, the beginning sample, after adding the prescribed amount ofwater, was just a bit paler than the wine and looked like this.
20080329_154408_Tartaric_Acid_b.gif

After adding the first couple drops of Sodium Hydroxide after shaking, thesample looked like this. Preaty much the same as it did originally.
20080329_154735_Tartaric_Acid_c.gif

After adding more sodium Hydroxid the sample took on a purple cloud like this...
20080329_155039_Tartaric_Acid_d.gif

... but cleard after shaking (I use a plastic bag over the tube to prevent the acid in my skin from contaminating the sample).
After adding2.7cc of solution and shaking, the sample changed color to a light, but decernable purple like this...
20080329_155454_Tartaric_Acid_e.gif

... but through-out the entire sample.
No confusion what so ever.

Raspberry is one of our favorite wines..mix it with apple juice, red grape juice, white grape juice...it's all good!!!!!

[Gasp with fright!]
Mix it!!!
Change the taste!!!
Alter that delightfully rassy, raspberry taste with anything else!!!

[Sound ofunconcious body hitting floor]

We mix Raspberry with many different juices....apple, red grape, white grape, rhubarb...etc...etc...etc.....Gives the wine more body...and they all taste of delicious Raspberry.

i agree with you handy ,howeverrassberry and sharaz remember orearthy blackberry and pinot noir,nice combo's

I use rasberry wine as a mixer also. Alittle can go a long way becaues it
is a dominate fruit and can easily take over in flavor so I think the tip is add alittle at a time to get the balance you are looking for.

Back