WineXpert Rasp/choc port problem(?)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.75, I guess it all depends though on what abv you are trying to achieve.

My LHBS has the "WE selection specials port" but not a flavored port such as chocolate raspberry. The winexpert website doesn't list it either. Only shows the regular port. Have they stopped making this kit or am I missing something?

I was told that they were a seasonal kit with limited production. I had to special order mine.

I picked mine up early last September when they first came out. I just started the kit two weeks ago. It's sitting in the secondary right now, and I'm about ready to start the stablizing and clearing. Mine fermented just fine, nothing got stuck for me, although I did the chaptalization in two steps, rather than dumping all of the extra sugar in at once.

I just tasted a bottle of my 2011 (an excess bottle beyond what fit in my aging carboy), and a bottle of my 2009 batch.
The 2009 batch was stuck ~1.020 after chaptalization, while the 2011 got down to ~1.008 (before F pack addition).

While the 2009 chocolate and raspberry flavors have toned down somewhat compared to the 2011, they are well integrated and it is still drinking well. What I notice about the 2011, besides tasting a bit drier due to the lower FG attained, it seems to have more gripping tannins from the oak, maybe partially due to it being newer than the 2009, but I also attribute it to the slightly higher alcohol at the finish of fermentation extracting a bit more oakiness.

I'm wondering if anyone else has compared 2 different finishing batches?

Last edited:
Both of my batches were pretty close to each other as far as where they stopped so not much comparison difference at all. Even though it stopped pretty early I still think it is a fabulous kit!

Looks like I missed jumping in on this one. I started my choco/rasp port April 1st and did get mine to start fermenting late next day and went steady , I did use brew belt off and on to keep temperature steady. One thing I did do a little different is only add only 1.5 packet of yeast it came with then when I did add the dextrose (chaptalisation) I pitched in remaining 1/2 packet. Fermentation continued slow and steady.
Today I racked to secondary at sg 1.012 , left sediment and still almost had a full 3 gallon carboy!? No complaints here!:)

Looks like I missed jumping in on this one. I started my choco/rasp port April 1st and did get mine to start fermenting late next day and went steady , I did use brew belt off and on to keep temperature steady. One thing I did do a little different is only add only 1.5 packet of yeast it came with then when I did add the dextrose (chaptalisation) I pitched in remaining 1/2 packet. Fermentation continued slow and steady.
Today I racked to secondary at sg 1.012 , left sediment and still almost had a full 3 gallon carboy!? No complaints here!:)

Depending on how you added it, that half packet of yeast could have died instantly from alcohol shock. At the point you were to add the dextrose, there was already a substantile amount of alcohol present in the wine. Pitching yeast directly into that wine would most likely have put them into shock.

On the other hand, if you prepare a yeast starter and slowly acclimate the yeast to the alcohol, then added it, they probably made it OK.

So, with which method did you add it?

Did not do a yeast starter since temperature and fermentation were good and active. I just sprinkled on top so dont know if new yeast died . Fermentation did continue steadily. Just checked on my racking from 2 hours ago and it looks like it we are back to a happy continuation of yeast be working hard. :)

Did not do a yeast starter since temperature and fermentation were good and active. I just sprinkled on top so dont know if new yeast died . Fermentation did continue steadily. Just checked on my racking from 2 hours ago and it looks like it we are back to a happy continuation of yeast be working hard. :)
They likely died. RIP

Next time you will know to create a yeast starter. If it were me, I'd just add all the packets up front.

Sounds like you are going to really enjoy this port. I know I have enjoyed mine, which is almost gone, now.

Even a yeast starter at that point would be mute. Its just too much alc for it. It would have been wiser to use them both in the beginning to build a huge colony to deal with the amount of sugar. Im beginning to wonder if maybe a 3rd packet would help solve the problem or if the 18% abv tolerance they state for this yeast is over stated with the exception of a few rare cases.

:)Yep, now that I think about it.....I did hear some faint screaming when the yeast made contact on the wine. Will know better next time. joe

:)Yep, now that I think about it.....I did hear some faint screaming when the yeast made contact on the wine. Will know better next time. joe

I can just imagine those faint little moans, crying out in total agony., "No! No!" :p

I feel a great disturbance in the force........
857.png

It's strange how mine and a few others went perfect and others are having issues. I'm ready to bottle mine now so I have some shelf space back. I can't wait to try this batch in a year+.

Im beginning to wonder if maybe a 3rd packet would help solve the problem or if the 18% abv tolerance they state for this yeast is over stated with the exception of a few rare cases.

In my experience the only way to get that yeast to 18% is very slowly and you have to swirl the fermenter frequently to get the yeast back into the mix, or wait a really long time.

Back