Mosti Mondiale Raisin and Grape pack test

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Peter. SG is .996 Joeswine, and still visible fermentation going on. Confirmed with two hydrometers. I have never had a wine go under .996, this could be a record for me if it continues.

Still .996 this morning and still fermenting. I think I am going to rack to glass this evening and let it sit for another 10 days. Going to the beach for the weekend (first time since Hurricane Ike wiped out 60% of the houses and businesses) so I will top up before I leave. Plus, last time I went out of town with wine in primary bucket the bottom of the bucket failed and I came home to a ruined batch.

When I calculate the alcohol, since this may go considerably below 1.000 does that add any to the % alcohol or do I still use the difference between 1.000 and my finish SG?

ttortorice said:
Still .996 this morning and still fermenting. I think I am going to rack to glass this evening and let it sit for another 10 days. Going to the beach for the weekend (first time since Hurricane Ike wiped out 60% of the houses and businesses) so I will top up before I leave. Plus, last time I went out of town with wine in primary bucket the bottom of the bucket failed and I came home to a ruined batch.

When I calculate the alcohol, since this may go considerably below 1.000 does that add any to the % alcohol or do I still use the difference between 1.000 and my finish SG?

Are you sure it is still fermenting, Tony? Perhaps the bubbling you see is CO2 coming out of solution. The steady SG would indicate that fermentation is over. Your plan to transfer to glass now sounds good.

I use the FermCalc Applet to calculate ABV, but I suspect it gives a higher reading than reality. With this program, the finishing SG definitely effects the ABV.

SG is .995 tonight so I guess it's still fermenting. I racked to a Mexican 6 gallon carboy and a one gallon glass jug. Yes seven completely full gallons of wine. Squeezed the raisins and left the oak chips and dust behind. Added air lock and will visit it again in ten days.

LET NATURE TAKE ITS COURSE
smiley36.gif

REMEMBER RASINS IN SECONDARY THIS THEN GIVES THEM AND YOU A CHANCE TO MELLOW OUT AND BE ALL theyCAN BE,NEXT TIME JUST LET THE RASINS SIT IN THE JUICE AND THEY THEM SELVES WILL DO ALL THE WORK FOR YOU,TO MUCH RASIN PULP (BECOMES BITTER) that's why i recommend to leave them whole,no squeezing
smiley7.gif
all those little bubbles are a beautiful maceration happening,check the SG and move forward.if you would have left them in for a hole month then the mouth feel would have increased also..but your doing great...email me with your address have a peach,raspberry and blackberry packed and waiting for shipping instructions..
smiley2.gif
..did you also use the oak dust I see?

Racked back to primary and added clarifyingagents last week and degassed - a lot. Now it's in carboy and gallon jug clearing for three weeks.

Oh my goodness . . . I just drew off a sample to check the clarity and taste. it's already crystal clear, but will stay at least another week. My jaw dropped when I tasted it. Intense bright berries wake up your mouth and open wide your eyes. Lots of dark fruits too like plum. Color is a bit lighter than I would expect for the Black wine of Avola but that could be the very small sample I extracted. A full glass will no doubt be darker. The pepper from the Syrah has not come through yet but hopefully will with months of age. I don't get the coconut aroma that I want yet but I have an American Oak stave on the way that will take care of that.

Looking like a winner winner chicken dinner as Guy Fieri would say!
smiley20.gif

I opened my first bottle 2 weeks ago an it has really improved in the last 2 months. Going to hold off a couple more months more than likely till the next one but its really good now at 14 months.

Racked off sediment today. Went crystal clear in no time. I added one medium toast French Oak stave. It's 18 inches long and 1 inch by 1/2 inch. slipped right in the carboy. Pre-drilled holes in each end for hanging from monofilament. After three weeks I will taste every week for oakiness. Can't wait to see how these staves compare to spirals.

Should have used a Flourocarbon leader instead. the fish dont see the line as easily!!!! LOL

tasted this morning after one day with the 16inch French stave. All I can say is "bright berries". No chemical smell or taste just bright berries. Already some oak from the stave (my sample came from right next to the stave on purpose to get an early idea). Still my only negative is the light color. More detailed tasting notes were posted last week and found here http://forum.finevinewines.com//forum_posts.asp?TID=11704&PID=154983#154983

Should have used a Flourocarbon leader instead. the fish dont see the line as easily!!!! LOL
Hey Tony,
What kind of fish do you have in the carboy?? LOL

Latest posts

Back