Racking during mlf

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty_Kay

Reaction score
I started a Malbec juice bucket on 4/3 and added an all grape pack during fermentation. I fermented to dry in the bucket and racked on 4/12 to glass carboy. I added Vp-41 mlb culture & nutrient. However, there is alot of sediment/pulp dropping out and I'm slightly concerned that this may cause a bad odor without another racking. I didnt realize the addition of the grape pack would drop as much "stuff" as it is.

My quesion is should I rack off of this sediment while mlf is taking place or wait until complete? I'd like to avoid any issues both with a potential odor while not hurting mlf.

Thanks

I would rack again, as you suspect, at this stage with a lot of material at the bottom, there is a risk of sulfur off odors. If you intend to add oak, now is not a bad time.

Yep, what @stickman said. My normal process, if making wine from grapes is to press, putting the wine in a carboy for 2-3 days. Then I rack off that sediment and pitch the MLB.

Racking seems like a good idea.

It's my understanding that the MLB thrive in the cracks and crevices of oak staves or chips, so oak at this phase is a good idea as well.

For what it's worth, I have started MLF at the same time as pitching yeast. The processes can run parallel.

Heather

Latest posts

Back