Racking/bottling when you have a cold?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boozinsusan

Reaction score
I think it was brewgrrrl that said that nothing that can hurt you will live in alcohol, but i am still wondering.....

I have avoided bottling when I was sick, but right now I would really like to do some racking, and have a cold. If I am careful, will this be a problem?

I think I know the answer, but you can't blame a girl for askin', right?

smiley2.gif

Wear a facemask. Sanitize your hands. You should be ok as long as you follow a sanitation plan.

Other than you probably not being able to enjoy the leftovers, it shouldn't be a problem at all. What is used to sterilize your arm before a shot or sterilize a needle, etc? Alcohol of course and what are you making?

That is what I thought.
Doesn't hurt to ask, right?

And thanks for the chuckle too, Appleman!

I was actually quoting Charlie Papazian, but yes - nothing that can hurt you can live in alcohol. That said, stuff that really tastes horrid CAN survive in alcohol. Sanitation is always important. :)

Nothing that can hurt you can live in alcohol, but lots of stuff that can hurt you (or not) can live in wine. Wine it typically <15% alcohol, and many things can tolerate that - even the yeast we use to ferment it. That's why we use sorbate at the end of fermentation, especially with back sweetened wines.

Latest posts

Back