Mosti Mondiale Racking All-Juice Gewurtztraminer...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcb54

Reaction score
For kits such as the All-Juice Pail Gewurtztraminer (or any kit for that matter), what would be the longest you could leave it in the secondary fermentation (on the lees) before racking? Would anything special or extra need to be done?

I don't have an extra carboy right now (I've got 7 full) and didn't really want to rack to a primary bucket and then back. I've gotten lazy and do not want to do the extra step. I'll be bottling again in about2 weeks and wanted to rack the Gewurtztraminer then...

Edited by: tcb54

It went from the primary fermenter (plastic bucket) to the secondary fermenter (glass carboy) on March 7th. As you know, on the Mosti kits you bring all the lees into the carboy. It has not been racked (again) beyond that point.

You threw me a bit when you said it had been in the primary since March 7.

I don't have the new directions, so I would tell you to try to follow them if possible. I think you would be fine for a couple extra weeks, but I wouldn't push it past that a lot.

tcb,
I am in the same boat. Racked a MM Vinifera Noble SauvBlanc from Primary to Carboy on March 8th. I have to bottle another batch to free-up a carboy to rack the Sauv Blanc.

Probably won't get to it until next weekend. My only concern is having too much contact with the oak that is added into the secondary. I'm hoping another week won't hurt. I don't really have a choice.

You have a lot of air space in the bucket. Be sure it stays sealed and you will be fine for several more weeks. I would try to get it out of the bucket as soon as feasible.

Think we're both already in glass under airlock. Just haven't racked for Degassing and stabalizing yet.

Once you are out of the primary you have more leeway. Although since its sitting on all the lees Id get it done before to long. It can wait but dont put it off if you know what I mean.

George,

It is already in the glass carboy, not in the primary bucket.

Since the battonage technique involves stirring up the lees a couple of times a week for a month for improved mouthfeel, I would think that as long as you have not added the clarifiers, leaving the wine on the lees for a month is OK.

Latest posts

Back